What chainsaw to get?

DanDelion

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So ive got a better budget now and im looking at the Husqvarna 560 XPG would that be a good investment ?

opinion is divided on that one . Love mine to death , best 60cc saw I have owned but there are some little things you need to get in the habit of remembering . The hot starting technique , the fact that the ignition switch rests to "on" after switching off and always use the decomp button every time you pull the starter cord . If you don't, the pull start will clap out before its due to . I have found if you stick to these "rules" they are an absolutely stonking saw . There .

I'm drawn to it and i guess as its my first real saw i can get into habbit easier with it, I'de rather pay the extra to get a saw that will stand the test then a basic one that will lead to me needing to upgrade shortly after in terms of the bar can anyone give me some reccomendations im guessing the oregon powersharp ones are useless? i like the idea of the ease but im guessing its a gimmick? and I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to use that for my test, thanks for the replys

I'm drawn to it and i guess as its my first real saw i can get into habbit easier with it, I'de rather pay the extra to get a saw that will stand the test then a basic one that will lead to me needing to upgrade shortly after in terms of the bar can anyone give me some reccomendations im guessing the oregon powersharp ones are useless? i like the idea of the ease but im guessing its a gimmick? and I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to use that for my test, thanks for the replys

Not sure what you are getting at but ---- You can use a 560 on your test but I think you will have to have a 15" bar or less . You will be tought how to sharpen up so just use a full or semi chiz and the correct files . An oregon file plate is a good idea also .

So ive got a better budget now and im looking at the Husqvarna 560 XPG would that be a good investment ?

Depending on how much experience you have you may be better off with something a bit less powerful for your assessment. A 346XP for instance is going to be a bit more forgiving and make you less likely to overcut your gob or hinge.

I've got both and tend to pick the 560 for most jobs at the moment. I don't think I would have wanted it as a total beginner's saw though.

Depending on how much experience you have you may be better off with something a bit less powerful for your assessment. A 346XP for instance is going to be a bit more forgiving and make you less likely to overcut your gob or hinge.

I've got both and tend to pick the 560 for most jobs at the moment. I don't think I would have wanted it as a total beginner's saw though.

Agreed, as much as the 560 is a great saw to use, it's fairly agressive.

I'd like to suggest the 346 - they're OK but I never liked it enough to buy one.

If you were considering a 346, the the 550 is maybe a better bet, look at it as a halfway house between the 346 and 560.

Depending on what sort of work you're doing, the none XP versions might even be worth a look - the 545 and 555 are from what I can gather just the same as the 550 and 560 but not quite so agressive.

im having a look at them ive never been good with decisions because of price to power its trying to think is the extra power worth the money, i just want a all round tool as it will be a while before i can buy another so gotta pick wisely

When you say all rounder - are you planning to be more forestry than arb (or vice versa?) or just one or the other etc etc?

i did my cs30/31 assment with a 353 witch is like a slightly lower powered 346xp.. try looking at a 353 or a ssecond hand 346xp (with the silver side) if ur budget could be uped slightly to 480 you can get a brand new 550xp which replaced the 346xp. better to buy a new saw as you know its history.