Your chance to contribute to a new tree identification website and phone app

RobArb

As most of you may be aware (or not), I have been working on a Tree Identification Database (and eventual phone app), for some time. I have now come to the stage where the website is nearly ready for testing and the database is filling up nicely.

This is going to be (eventually) a free resource for everybody to use with maybe a small charge on a phone app depending on development costs. Now, this is where you come in… I am looking for contributions from anybody willing to help this database expand and become a valuable tool for everyone to use. As a contributor (anyone can be one) you will get the opportunity for your trees and photos (once validated) to become part of TreeIDent (http://www.treeident.com), helping raise awareness for wider audiences and therefore again, becoming even more of a valuable asset.

Unfortunately it won’t be possible to just take any old photograph. Each photo (and information with it) has to follow a set of guidelines to make sure the search function works properly and churns out positive results. So, if you feel you can follow these guidelines and want to contribute to this expanding project then this is how you do so.

Photographs and Information for submittal

All photographs submitted need to be clear and sharp

The tree should be, wherever possible, confirmed with a positive ID and correct botanical name. If this isn’t possible, then this is where the photos need to be clear and sharp with all botanical features evident (they can then be identified and validated by myself).

A location of where the pictures were taken

As many pictures as possible of:-

Form of the tree - from young to mature and beyond

Bark - from the main stem and branches, again young and mature

Leaves/Needles/Scales – Pictures of leaves with a representation of scale, Top of leaf, Underside of leaf, close-up of any features (like hairy vein axils) both above and below

Petiole (leaf stalk)

Leaf/bud arrangement on twig

Bud - Clear close up of both lateral and terminal buds

Winter twig

Leaf Scar

Fruit

Flower/s

Autumn colour

Not all of these features will be able to be collected in one season so the more photos collected over time, the better the eventual collection will be. There are also other unique identifying features that should be photographed but more information will be eventually available on the website as I don’t want to put any off from becoming a contributor just yet!

If you fancy the challenge, or have a bit of spare time and would like to contribute, please send your photographs and information to [email protected]. All contributors who have trees validated that eventually end up in the database will be recognised as such on the website (if they want to be recognised)

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from some of you soon :biggrin:

Yes silky there will be eventually, but may only next year, website being finished is most important.

Sloth, all images are welcomed as some may be actually be better than mine, it's cultivars and varieties that don't seem to be as popular at the moment

Sent from my Galaxy S2

My two pennies on this. As you are surely aware there is an iphone app similar to this already and while it's good, I find it falls down on the fine detail. When you are trying to identify something you really need images of why it is what it is. For example why an alder is a black alder and not another type. The existing app I think doesn't have enough in this respect.

My two pennies on this. As you are surely aware there is an iphone app similar to this already and while it's good, I find it falls down on the fine detail. When you are trying to identify something you really need images of why it is what it is. For example why an alder is a black alder and not another type. The existing app I think doesn't have enough in this respect.

:thumbup:

Well ahead of you there, this website and phone app WILL concentrate on the finer detail

Sent from my Galaxy S2

• 4 weeks later...

An enormous task! If you could narrow it down people like me could pitch in. No point, for example, in me sending you every picture I have of trees, leaves, buds etc. but if there wasa running list somewhere of what species and varieties you have already got I could check it and would be more likely to send you stuff for the rest.

An enormous task! If you could narrow it down people like me could pitch in. No point, for example, in me sending you every picture I have of trees, leaves, buds etc. but if there wasa running list somewhere of what species and varieties you have already got I could check it and would be more likely to send you stuff for the rest.

Good point Dalton, will get working on a list:thumbup: