Processor Queries!!

rovers90

I use a Palax KS35 powered by a Ford 4610 tractor. I am really lucky in that my friend lets me process inside his huge nice dry shed and the tractor is his dads. Two queries though:

1) I've certainly been a lot more aware of the exhaust fumes recently from the tractor. You cannot see them but after a couple of hours I can certainly smell them. I tend to wear a dust mask when processing but find it difficult to keep over my nose as it then steams my glasses up! I was thinking of putting a flexible pipe on the exhaust and running it through the gap in the panels. Anybody do anything differently if processing indoors?

2) As I said, the tractor is my friends dads and he doesnt use it a lot and doesnt mind me using it but I have been toying with buying my own. However, someone else suggested a Lister engine with a hydraulic pump on it to connect to the processor hydraulics. Has anybody tried this in the past with any success?

Any thoughts or ideas gratefully received.

Derek there not called porous fords for nothing!!!I used to use a david brown on proccesor had same trouble with fumes so i mad:thumb up a pipe that fitted on exhaust pipe as a tight fit.Then i moved sheds so i put a flue pipe over complete exhaust work well mind they do get sooted up.

As for lister id stick with the devil you know.:thumbup:

diesle fumes have been listed as a carsonogenic by the hse, get it sorted

What and petrol fumes haven't?! Get your facts right before posting spurious Quentin Wilson esqe comments; the majority of my career was in diesel exhaust research btw. You want to know about diesel exhaust? How long have you got?!

In answer to the OP, put some pipe from from the stack out through the panels as suggested; flatten the pipe thru the gaps, don't reduce the diameter.

That was a bit rude and uncalled for :thumbdown: I believe the conversation is about diesel fumes and that was what Eddie's response was quite clearly aimed at.

Apologies; please no-one take it personally. I just get so fed up with Quentin Wilsons legacy because it's lies, lies and more lies (about diesel fumes).

I thought they were called porous Fords because the coolant fell through the block and ended up in the sump with the oil ?

Be careful especially on older tractors when enclosed in a barn as there is alot of fumes comming from the engine breather especially my tractor :biggrin:

So what is worse petrol fumes or diesel fumes ? I have had more than my share of diesel fumes over the last 25 years.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will look into getting a pipe on the exhaust tout suite!

Someone told me diesel fumes produced carbon monoxide but someone else has said they don't, only petrol fumes do. So TimberCutter, could you clarify please?