load size education

borderfirewood

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blushing:

just knocked up a 1m3 box out of ply wood my 1m3 bags more than fill the wooden box probs about 1.15m3 in one of the bags

so every 7th bag i`v given away a cube of logs!!! doh!!!!:banghead:

just designing a 1m3 box attachment for my front end loader with built in hopper to chute the logs into a bulk bag!!

the profit margin is too low to be giving logs away!!!!!

How many of us on this thread are going to do this tomorrow :lol:

Here is a pic of our "LOAD" sold as 1.5M3 when stacked but do you think it would be best to sell as 2M3 loose logs.

Measure the volume and sell it as level load. Pulling heaps about will attract the old bill. The sides on your trailer look smaller than the tipper we have. I tend to charge at the higher end in my area. The logs tend to be beech and ash and seasoned for more than a year so I put a very slight heap on so it looks better on arrival especially if it settles at all. so advertised at 1.5 but probably over 1.6

Here is a pic of our "LOAD" sold as 1.5M3 when stacked but do you think it would be best to sell as 2M3 loose logs.

I like your log stacking is that customer logs or house logs. I need to get tidier we finished using the splitter months ago and some where under the log pile is the attached trailer and Honda engine.

59766210e8bfa_logsplitter(600x400).jpg.b91798cb8c3c66c4853a77c529251e58.jpg

I like your log stacking is that customer logs or house logs. I need to get tidier we finished using the splitter months ago and some where under the log pile is the attached trailer and Honda engine.

Up until this year all ours and customers logs were dried for 2 years like this but it's very labour intensive so this year the sheds are full but we are also drying in IBC containers with lids and it has worked very well.

the us and canada wieghts and measure dept stipulates all firewood to be sold as a chord or fraction of a chord. a stacked chord is 3.62 m3 so 1/3 of a chord 1.2m3.

a chord is 8ft x 4ft x4ft split and stacked to fill 128 cu ft half chord is 8ft x 4 ft x2ft etc, no other discription is allowed

so it would seem that the 1.2m3 stacked is one third of a chord and should be £96

hi,

In the USA and Canada the sale of firewood is regulated by the wieghts and measures dept, the only discription allowed is a cord or part of a cord.

since a cord is 8ft x 4ft x 4ft of split stacked wood and has a volume of

3.62m3 or 128cu ft there is no room for error.

1/3 of a cord is 1.2m3 of neatly stacked firewood and should be worth £96

a tonne builders bag will be lucky to hold .6m3 when stacked

this .6m3 is actually only 1/6th of a cord and since a cord is worth £289.60

then the 1/6th or .6m3 is worth £48.00.

so if a m3 bag (1.2m3) etc is sold for £80 a cord sold would be £480.00

COSTING THE CLIENT £190 MORE.

no wonder people are sceptical

I would definitely sell that as 2cube. I 85ifor tipper is 1.8 cube when nicely heaped up and thats what i sell it as. Wouldnt get any customers if I advertised it as say 1.2cube stacked etc!

If I had to stack my product to prove the volume before I sold it I would go out of business!

Margins are tight enough..and I don't know of anybody selling their product this way.

Just imagine if this system was introduced into the UK...

Be fair, I was not advocating this to anyone else and you don't have to stack your wood, you just need a ratio of loose logs to stacked logs and in following this thread I will probably change the way I describe our loads to loose volume anyway.

Edited by Woodworks