Running in new saw

nicholiath

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by a pro forester not to use extra oil in your mix as it can alter the tolerances between rings and cylinder, thus reducing compression and power! I use 50/1 (Aspen Fuel these days) straight out the box and use as normal, never had a problem in 19 years, got a 1995 254xp still going strong!

last ms200 i bought I let it tickover for about 2 to 3 tanks of fuel

I was under the impression that running a 2 stroke at idle for long periods was bad news for the engine. They need the oil in the petrol for lubrication and on tick over they hardly get any, especially these days since they are leaned out so much to pass emmision regs. Plus they dont get up to a high enough temp to allow everything to expand the way it should.

I just try to not use em at full throttle for a couple of tank fulls.

It might be right in running em like you stole em (racing bikes do) but then again they change the piston rings after every few hours of running.

It's heat and lack of oil that destroy a 2 stroke so make sure that you dont have either especially when its new.

Just my imo I aint an expert but I have an 020 thats 10+ years old (still a good spare saw) and a 46 thats about the same. :001_smile: