EU Imported firewood into the UK

billythegoat

Funny on a previous reply that someone mentioned that 90x90x90 was a cubic metre of firewood!!!

And that is a company that do a lot of firewood using timber generated from railway line veg clearance. I would be surprised if he is not a member here.

A

• 3 years later...

I dont see how a foreign company can cut spit, package, dry and then ship the product over here and out compete our prices leaving some to reject the british cord, which is completely understandable, as business is business. The other thing I was wondering is I wonder how many hardwood woodlands we have specifically for commercial firewood production,

These are the current economics.

Good quality cord timber delivered in is around £55 - £60 a ton, I usually buy 100- 125 tones at a time, 4 or 5 loads, this is if you are lucky and your cord has been down for some time will produce about 1.7 cu meters of logs loose.

I have this summer bought from the Baltic stacked crates of kiln dried Ash, internal MC mainly 3% or below, very consistant sizing, no crap hidden in the crates. The volume of timber stacked of a pallet is around .95 of a cube but put them into loose log bags and you have around 1.6 cu meters of logs beatifully dry and ready for immediate use. Cost, nearly forgot, £82 a crate, delivered. That was July, exchange rate has I suspect now made that better. I had an e mail yesterday from them offering me 2 cu m stacked crates of Birch delivered 48 hours after payment received.

So buy in at £82 for 1.6 cube ready to sell or buy cord at say £55 for the same volume and process/store it ready to sell. With my small processor getting hold of small cord is now all but impossible so am looking (again !!) at a bigger processor. That would cut processing time/costs but at present its a bit of a no brainer to buy in although I am sure that sooner or later the wheel will come full circle.

Buying timber standing may be a better option but you do need to be tooled up to handle it and of course a good lot of it will be oversize.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Good quality cord timber delivered in is around £55 - £60 a ton, I usually buy 100- 125 tones at a time, 4 or 5 loads, this is if you are lucky and your cord has been down for some time will produce about 1.7 cu meters of logs loose.

I have this summer bought from the Baltic stacked crates of kiln dried Ash, internal MC mainly 3% or below, very consistant sizing, no crap hidden in the crates. The volume of timber stacked of a pallet is around .95 of a cube but put them into loose log bags and you have around 1.6 cu meters of logs beatifully dry and ready for immediate use. Cost, nearly forgot, £82 a crate, delivered. That was July, exchange rate has I suspect now made that better. I had an e mail yesterday from them offering me 2 cu m stacked crates of Birch delivered 48 hours after payment received.

So buy in at £82 for 1.6 cube ready to sell or buy cord at say £55 for the same volume and process/store it ready to sell. With my small processor getting hold of small cord is now all but impossible so am looking (again !!) at a bigger processor. That would cut processing time/costs but at present its a bit of a no brainer to buy in although I am sure that sooner or later the wheel will come full circle.

Buying timber standing may be a better option but you do need to be tooled up to handle it and of course a good lot of it will be oversize.

A

Wish I could get crates in for that price,then I wouldn't bother with the cord and all the hard work that goes with processing it,would you be willing to give me the company name your getting it off ?,or maybe supply me ?

ive bought this tsuff before.

my comment was yes it ws lovely and dry but left a weird ash behind- loads of the stuff.

never seen anything like it.. not saying its all like it but it put me and few of us that used it off.

now I'm back on my own Oak, yes its a tad damp but hey cant beat it..

that lovely smokey fog that hangs around the house these damp mornings:thumbup:

A

Would it be possible to get the deatails from you been thinking about importing some for a while now but wouldnt like to risk on a randome company cheerz jonty