New member saying hi!

WoodMouse

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wud up Arborphiles.

I'm currently 34 and I've become disillusioned with the whole office malarkey, and I've decided that id like to start an Arboreal business.

I don't have much experience with trees, except CDT at school. Craft, Design, Technology. Ive been in the Caribbean for a few years working on boats, so good with ropes and knots. Not much experience climbing, although a recent visit to a climbing wall i stunned the instructor by whipping up the wall lightning fast just using my arms. Seems my slim athletic frame is quite adept to climbing as when i reached the bottom he couldn't believe it was my first climb.

"do it again, but only use the blue ones" he said

I got almost to the top, and was finally taken out by a section that required me to swing from one block to the other using just my fingertips, i fell. Still, the guy said it was impressive, and that i had potential to be a good climber.

I've also been a scuba instructor/commercial diver and a motorcycle courier. So i think I'll be OK outside in the wet and cold. I would continue to dive but perforated my ear drum, :(

Anyways, thinking of going to Capel Manor College and doing all the courses. From what i can see this could take me a few months to get sorted. chainsaw, felling, climbing etc

I was thinking to start out, for a one man operation id need, the usual PPE, Climbing gear, Saws, a chipper and a flatbed truck. There is potential for more plant equipment as the enterprise grows but im thinking about starting with this and seeing how i go.

Hoping to get involved with everyone here, learn share and grow with the community.

Please forgive me if I've said anything drastically stupid, I'm really new to this and will never feel that anyone's being critical. All advice welcome.

Kind regards

WoodMouse

HI WOOD welcome mate all the best with it :thumbup1:jon :thumbup:

Where abouts in the country are you. It always helps to know so people can see if you are close to them or not.

Add it to your profile. Doesn't have to be an address just a general idea to county or the like.

Im in London right now, so very close to the college for the courses. I'm thinking about moving out further. Depends really where i can find land to base myself. 5-10 acres of woodland which would be suitable for my plans, i.e. somewhere with a reasonable covenant or none at all. Will have to speak to forestry commission. I hope to buy woodland, set up a dwelling and with an extended seasonal license i should be able to love there. If i keep pigs to control the understory and use part of the site for producing charcoal, firewood, roof shingles, round wood beams for houses etc it creates the need for someone to be there permanently. I hope it would work, obviously being a tree surgeon/arborist would prove that im interested in looking after the wood, and not just buying it for investment value and leaving it to go wild.

i think you have an incredibally rose tinted, romanticised view of the industry

but good luck :)

When i say Commercial Diver in the Caribbean you probably have quite a glamorous image. But most the time i was in water so silted up with mega yacht poop that i couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Scraping wee sea beasties from the hull of a billionaire arms dealers yacht. We did have interesting jobs, repairing armored cable in deep blue water was ace but few and far between. Same with courier work, it's the best job in the world wizzing down country lanes in the summer. But most of the time you'll end up walking round empty office blocks late at night in the pissing rain looking for a security guard to drop off your last package from a 14 hour day.

I try not to have any preconceptions, but I'm sure it's no walk in the park. I love being in nature, and i miss the adventure in an office. To go from almost losing your life three times a day on average (I'm serious, no health & safety in the Dutch Antilles) to sitting in an office, i just don't feel alive.

Hello

eZ

HI WOOD welcome mate all the best with it :thumbup1:jon :thumbup:

Muchas Gracias

Good luck give it a go. Get stuck in, the only real way to learn is to do! Don't take on anyting you don't fell you can handle. But the more jobs you do the more experience you will gain. Go to collage learn the basics then do the tickets you think your going to need. It may be that you only decide to small tree and hedges, just progress and learn and don't be afraid to ask for help even small trees can be very dangerous. As for working for free I wouldn't expect anyone to do that it's just a p**s take even if your drag brush all day you get paid. It you want to do a few days pm me I'm only near j19 of the m25.

Good luck give it a go. Get stuck in, the only real way to learn is to do! Don't take on anyting you don't fell you can handle. But the more jobs you do the more experience you will gain. Go to collage learn the basics then do the tickets you think your going to need. It may be that you only decide to small tree and hedges, just progress and learn and don't be afraid to ask for help even small trees can be very dangerous. As for working for free I wouldn't expect anyone to do that it's just a p**s take even if your drag brush all day you get paid. It you want to do a few days pm me I'm only near j19 of the m25.

Hi Treenerd, that's a nice offer. I'm currently in Tulse Hill south London, it would be quite a way to go considering i don't have transport as yet. I could get on the train if there's a station near to the site?

Hi woodmouse

From your posts you sound like you got the enthusiasm and drive and have the means to set yourself up very nicely

Arbtalk is fantastic for information and you can find advice and opinions on about pretty much everything arb related so search away and get addicted like the rest of us

I would say immerse yourself with books on theory

Loads of great threads on recommended books to get

Yes it can be a very trying industry but with time and hard graft and a love for it anything is possible

Hope all goes well :thumbup1:

Oh I wouldn't advertise as an Arborphile :laugh1:

Hi woodmouse

From your posts you sound like you got the enthusiasm and drive and have the means to set yourself up very nicely

Arbtalk is fantastic for information and you can find advice and opinions on about pretty much everything arb related so search away and get addicted like the rest of us

I would say immerse yourself with books on theory

Loads of great threads on recommended books to get

Yes it can be a very trying industry but with time and hard graft and a love for it anything is possible

Hope all goes well :thumbup1:

Oh I wouldn't advertise as an Arborphile :laugh1:

Thanks Treemoose, consider me immersed, brain set to sponge. :thumbup: