Tales from the wild wood

Bart

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not impressed with episode 2 either. The beardy guy who lost his son, not got a problem with him, at least he isn't trying to make it profitable, and making habitat for wildlife, fair enough. If the hero of the tale can turn a profit in 12 months, and keep it in profit without income from other sources i would be amazed!

Hugh fearnly woodsmanstall?

the only money being made is what the t v company is paying. Did you notice how clean his chain saw was, probably never been used, once the camera's off someone else is doing the work.

You say that as if it is a fact - in which case how do you know that?

Clearly, what he is doing (tv work aside!) is not 'economic' according to our governing 'economic' system but the series may well go some way to reveal this state of affairs to a wider audience.

Clearly Mr Penn decided to start making this programme with very limited practical experience, having met coppicers with years of experience and rare skills i'm not too keen on the way that he is presented as being 'a woodsman' given his inexperience, however, as noted on another thread on the matter he does have the courtesy to describe himself as a 'wannabee woodsman', and so yes it has it's faults and bits of it do grate, but it's not all bad.

Whilst i might prefer it if the programme were less about him and more about some of the people he meets, it appears as though he will be getting some of his failings pointed out pretty plainly in the next episode.

Hey AROB dont get me wrong i like watching the program and others like grand designs, but they all follow the same pattern like all the house building programs every one runs out of money half way through, they then run around feeling sorry for themselves then hey presto they suddenly have some more to continue. When i have spent the day cutting and clearing in my woods i a'm covered in sawdust sweat and sap, not looking like i have just walked out of an arb catalogue. 2 pigs running around for a season wont kill off all the bracken and brambles, you could see when they took them away their was loads of it still untouched. Anyway its good viewing and gives us a laugh

Hey WD i understand what you're saying; it seems like treework from a parallel universe where money isn't an object, i made some similar comments myself about 'Jimmy's Farm' (turns out he too found extra funds from somewhere), just pulling you up so we can have a good fact based moan. :biggrin:

I'm undecided. The marketing, telling you that he's a woodsman is clearly untrue. But to be fair to him he puts himself over as a novice, but a hard worker and keen to learn. I suspect that if he could do everything then it wouldn't make very entertaining TV. Him getting in people to show him and teach is what this formula is really about. The old experienced local in the first show and the tree giant in this one were entertaining. Yes the pigs are silly but a bit of fun.

I think the whole idea that he can make a wood of that type "profitable" is ludicrous, but he can make it productive. If it gets people interested in woods and also realising that the British woods they love, didn't just grow that way, they were intensively managed for centuries and that to keep them healthy, trees need to be cut down, then it will do some good.

Next week when he tries using standards rather than coppice might be more challenging