Smallish logging saw

Robert Raven

Not professionally qualified to judge, but hey ho 15 year ago i bought an 026 Stihl, as being big enough for this size of timber (being birch an wee Sitka) with the BEST power to weight ratio. Being the smallest of Stihl's professional range.

Not that ignorant brute of a farmers saw that the MS390 is:lol:

A wonder they didnay put a diesel engine in it!:biggrin:

Still pleased with my decision, but word has it the newer Stihl are not the saws the older Stihls were, too much plastic, flimsey bearings etc etc.

I am sure someone will be along to post sommat better informed/more helpful.

I've always used an MS260 with a 16 inch bar & full chisel chain for exactly what you're doing with your 390, munches through it happily, done some big fells with it [for it's size] as well over the years... Good little saw.

From what I've read I believe the 261 is a worthy replacement, if a little 'fancy'....

I also have an 025 running the same chain on a 14" bar and that's a super light little saw as well, but from the 'Farmer' range.

In the original Mad Max film, the sign on the shed said "Speed is a question of money, how fast do you want to go":thumbup:

So - the type of saw you end up with is up to your budget, how much wonga have you?

An 026 is £125 - £175 territory, MS260 are £200 - £300, all desiable pro saws demand big money, have you thought about Husqvarna - 346XP is one damn fine saw and faster than the 026!

One thats not been said yet is the 024! If kept sharp is a belter of a saw!

I have 2 of these and they're brilliant!

One day doing some conifer bashing was using the stihl ms261, when that ran out of fuel, was passed the 024 fueled up. My god what a weight saving! Felt so much better!

Don't discount it! 024's are bit cheaper than the 026 and are professional saws!

One thats not been said yet is the 024! If kept sharp is a belter of a saw!

I have 2 of these and they're brilliant!

One day doing some conifer bashing was using the stihl ms261, when that ran out of fuel, was passed the 024 fueled up. My god what a weight saving! Felt so much better!

Don't discount it! 024's are bit cheaper than the 026 and are professional saws!

Not a bad call if you want a Stihl, parts are plentiful and they are good on a 13-14" bar - costs are not too prohibitive either.

I have a ms260 and a ms 390 if I had a load of timber to cut under 8" I would use the small saw all day if it was all over 10" I would just get the ms 390 out especially if I had a small bar for it. I fnd the 260 a bit under powered and the 390 not very heavy especially for crosscutting.

i use a357xp every day and thought this was the bees knees but given a shot of a346 xp today by an instructor teaching in our woods today and as said its an absolute belter much more nimble and not far behind in power on smaller stems and snedding i might add one to my wish list