Would THIS offend you?

18 stoner

Doesn't offend me.

A well reasoned response to a difficult problem, I hope that the hotel staff can pass on the reasoning. I wonder if an explanation sheet for the interested visitor should be done.

Had it not had a TPO would you have spiked it in the hope of encouraging new growth?

Many thanks for that.

This tree was said to be an establishment tree from when the first part of the building was built, probably around 1770. As a result of this, it has been a point of discussion for many years following the initial diagnosis of Phytophra(sp), some 8 or 9 years ago when it shed a very large limb.

I have worked on it a couple of times since, attempting to reduce sail and weight from its massive canopy, in the hope of making it "safer" due to its location.

This seems to have worked up until now, as it never dropped any further limbs. Due to the extent of the disease, the constant monitoring of it finally lead to the decision to make safe by this extensive reduction. The other alternative was to fell, and was suggested by the local TO's initially, but the client has already lost a very large amount of its nearby mature habitat due to age and many to flooding, so the decision was made to retain and hopefully promote it as a live monolyth or veteran.

Only time will tell how successful this will be, but the client is well aware of the risks, both of losing the tree, and future maintenance.

One thing that became very evident whilst removing the limbs, was the extent of the disease. At a guess, 80-90% of the scaffold limbs had lateral cracks in them, some still showing in the photos. May not be totally seen as a positive thing, but was reassuring to know we had made the right decision, in fact, it was amazing catastrophic failure had not occurred on any of them.

Many of the staff are now aware, as you say it would be nice if a better understanding can be put forward in general, but in reality is often difficult.

As for spiking, I dare say the same respect would have been given to a none protected tree, unless it was on the "spec" to do so with the intension of causing bursts.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for spiking, I dare say the same respect would have been given to a none protected tree, unless it was on the "spec" to do so with the intension of causing bursts.

I wondered if our local car park oaks had succumbed to a disease with the regular tar spots all over the stems, then I walked up and saw the bleeds close up and realised a utility arb team had been at work and gaffed the lot.

Even had a look at the pics again myself, but not sure what you mean?:confused1:

Oh no:001_smile:

I knew this would happen... I've been meaning to buy one of those laser pointer things for years for pointing out specific branches:001_smile:

I mean... from memory... right hand stem top of leader ... 2 stubs.. not pruning cuts to the fork... better chance of occlusion.

In terms of better chance of occlusion ....I know this to be the case from looking at my own cuts years later... never mind Shigo.

With occlusion of wound (not sure of spelling by the way) there is less chance of the rot we have been on about.

Yep, I see the fork you are on about now.

The reasons for it being left like that were mainly due to being "the top of the tree". It was also a very handy final anchor point to decend from once the tree was finished.

Appart from that, following the "shortening" of all the other limbs, the lengths were various. I cant see much difference between this particular pair to any others tbh, other than they are shorter:confused1:

We need to accept that the majority of these wounds will decay in time, growth may be irratic and it may need further reduction in time. The specific lengths of individual limbs was open to individuals opinions, what we tried to do was leave a reasonable scaffold shape with some symmetry.

I take your point, I leave stubs all over the place in case its me that has to climb the tree again:001_smile:

I will leave this issue to the mercy of arbtalk.

Except to say that I understand the big stubs but not the small ones. Even though I hate taking out a good future anchor point.

Anyway ...respect for putting it up for discussion.

This makes you look more professional not less:thumbup1:

I also combine techniques pollarding one branch but not another,, that's for another day though.

On another note from earlier in the thread, for those who gave a firm "fell and replant" opinion, one other reason for not doing this had been considered. Subsidence.

Due to the age of the tree and building, and being approximately 6meters apart, if removal was opted for, heavy reduction would have been required initially.

If the tree doesn't survive, part one has been carried out.

For those who gave opinions initially, yet didnt know all the facts, this thread was aimed at you. In fact, my idea of getting initial impressions from tree related folk has spoken volumes to me. It gives good pointers to what "the public" may think.

I feel that the thread, like the tree will, provoked an initial response. I hope that now the situation has been explain fully, those who were initially more negative about whats been done are happier now they know the reasoning.

The next step I guess is a responsibility of the industry in general, and that is to educate the public. Sometimes what appears to be very crude or even uneducated practice, can actually be the opposite to that kneejerk reaction.

Thanks to certain media and furums such as this "we" can hopefully get there, but its not an easy road to take.

Thanks for all your input.