My Land Rover Defender 130

madmatt

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MadMatt, I sure would like to see some pictures of your engine.

I do alot of wrenching, and lately have started a project to marry a standard 5 speed tranny with the mercedes 5 cylinder diesel (1987 year model).

Manuel trans. with this engine is unheard of in the states.

Mercedes makes one but it is on the 4 cylinder non turbo model so it's a dog.

Thanks MMatt!

Jim, al the 2.25's and 2.5's had lucas CAV pumps, the tdi's went bosch. Thats why its hard to run the older engines on SVO / WVO.

Frans, what engine / vehicle / tranny are you trying to mate up? I have a 14000# merc truck with a 4 cyl turbo engine and 5 speed manual transmission.

ah there we go then, my now sold :( 2.5td 90 had the lucas setup. i know why i had that in my head. cos i was agonising over the thought that the fuel pump had had it once id rebuilt the vehicle from the ground up engine AND bodywork and refurbed the chassis etc, when all it ended up being was i needed to double check a couple of valve clearances

Jim, al the 2.25's and 2.5's had lucas CAV pumps, the tdi's went bosch. Thats why its hard to run the older engines on SVO / WVO.

Frans, what engine / vehicle / tranny are you trying to mate up? I have a 14000# merc truck with a 4 cyl turbo engine and 5 speed manual transmission.

I dont know the Lucas CAV pumps but the Bosch is an in-line pump that is pretty robust. So the Bosch seems to handle the thicker veggi oil better than say, the International/ford rotary fuel injection pumps.

The Volkswagon also uses a rotary pump.

Ed, mating up a 1986 Mercedes 300 5 cylinder engine to a 4x4 Ford 5 speed tranny.

We just dont have the smaller diesel engines with manuel trannys here in the states. Mercedes has one, but it is a 4 speed tranny and really winds out at our freeway speeds. And it is not 4x4.

Any Inline pumps are good for taking veggie oil straight. Have to be carefull though, as not all Bosch pumps are rotary. We have a little Vauxhall (GM) 4x4 and it has a bosch vp44 pump, renowned for breaking up under Veggie use.

Why the 5 cyl 300 engine frans? you may find it a little gutless. was it just convenient? and what vehicle is it going in? I would be more tempted to use the OM602 turbo unit.