My Land Rover Defender 130

madmatt

yeah there arn't that many 110's gross at 3500kg mainly ex leccy board ones with all the kit on.

My old 2.5 N/A 110 was 3500kg gross as it had previously been a garage breakdown truck with a jib and winch in the back in a previous life.

And you bloody knew it when it was full and you had a full 3.5 ton trailer on as well - no power steering.

It was fitted with I.B.S. brakes too!:scared1:

Their the ones when you press the pedal you get a dreadful feeling in your guts that you can't stop and then you start sh!tting yourself!:ohmy:

This is the only picture I have with it on as I didn't own a camera back then. An old guy took it out of his bathroom window.

It was a decent straight landy, a lot better than the Hi cap I traded up to, but was just too underpowered for the work I was making it do, but I had to cut my cloth accordingly when I was starting out.:001_smile:

• 1 month later...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mat

nice rig.

I run a 130 twin cab with chip box on back (non tipping :bawling:) so the spare is on the bonnet its a 265/7516 and i dont hav too many problems with it and its a handy place to lob winching gear so it dont get lost

Hi mate, i have emailed you regarding your double cab. I am looking to sell mine in favour of one as i have aunimog and could do witht he extra internal room in the Land Rover.

How do you get on with yours?

Ed.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok time for an update nothing stays the same for long!

I had long been getting sick of the pick up back on the 130 as it was a tad restricting. I decided i needed a dropside body but not a tipper as I never carry chip and if i was to tip logs out I then only have to pick em up off the floor!

An ebay search an a trip to leeds turned this up for not a lot of money,

dropsideproject007.jpg

it was off a 55 plate transit and was just like a big meccano kit so was fairly simple to dismantle.

then it was time to remove the existing landrover tub with the help of a few bits of wood and an extra pair of hands.

this is how we suspended it to roll the vehicle out. remember this tub had a steel framed tool locker in it so was very heavy which is why we didn't just grab an end each and walk it off.

dropsideproject021.jpg

then it was time to start offering up the bits to decide how to build the new body

dropsideproject019.jpg

dropsideproject023.jpg

then it was decided while the body was off we would replace the rear cross member as it wouldn't have lasted much longer and it seemed to be worth doing while access was so easy.

projectlandrover001.jpg

I also decided the exhaust needed modifying as when the log splitter is on the back exhaust gases were lingering near the operator so the tool box was moved back 6 inches to make way for a vertical exhaust.

dropsideproject029.jpg

this is something how it looks now

projectlandrover009.jpg

projectlandrover011.jpg

Edited by madmatt
wrong image tag