A question?, My best option for milling Sitka is?

difflock

OK

That makes sense, kinda, still need a frame behind to carry the vertical sheeting timbers, I admired this same technique in a photo in the milling section, a shed done with lovely wide oak/hardwood, looked really really well.

Being vertical the drip will get away, just need to figger some ground level detail to allow an air gap, probably sommat cunning in folded zinc sheeting

Thinking of 2nd hand galv "Z" purloins or sommat similar.

Hmmmm, could use them for my horizontal members as well, between good thick section wooden posts.

I actually like mixing materials and techniques/cross fertilization/hybrid construction on the basis that if Victorian craftsmen had had some of our genuinely good technology and hitech materials they have used it without hesitation.

Like seamless aluminium guttering.

cheers again

marcus

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there's a frame, sort of. The newer ones it's a full frame, with the boards used as cladding. In the older ones the boards are structural, so the frame is simple rails fixed to the corner posts (which you can see externally) and a wallplate at the top.

Alec

• 2 months later...

Hmmm,

I tink I have made my decision,

a 1220 Timber King, with one 7.5' extention and the 18HP Kohler, just awaiting a keen price for to incl del to NI.

Thanks Rob for your unbiased advice, and also thank you Big J.

And Agg221 also for the construction tips/suggestions.

And anyone else that knows me:laugh1: (I used to listen to Downtown radio)

Just need to find sommat affordable on tracks to extract the logs.

Mind that M B Trac on the bay with the humengous tyres would dammd near float, once the drill rig was removed.

Theres also a Mooroka tracked tractor.

Remind Frank I am bred off a Scots Presbyterian, North Antrim farmer crossed with a hungry Co Cavan wife.

And marriet tae a 1/2 Scots 1/2 Prussian wife,(whos Mother left Prussia in 1941 at an hours notice from the Cossacks) who, therefore, thinks I were reared proper saft.

An btw. currently paying 2 weans through Uni.

Strike up the Violin.

Cheers J

Marcus

Edited by difflock

Remind Frank I am bred off a Scots Presbyterian, North Antrim farmer crossed with a hungry Co Cavan wife.

And marriet tae a 1/2 Scots 1/2 Prussian wife,(whos Mother left Prussia in 1941 at an hours notice from the Cossacks) who, therefore, thinks I were reared proper saft.

An btw. currently paying 2 weans through Uni.

Strike up the Violin.

Cheers J

Marcus

With that back story, I'd be hoping to get the mill for free! :laugh1: