This is the way they pollard the limes - in Glasgow

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do we have any french pics? Should i go and search the forums? Has anyone been and done work over there?

I have seen plenty on the way to the alps... on the south side of lake geneva they are all pollarded like that bit they have even painted them and up lit them for some reason. not sure the paint would help the trees but it certainly looks a sight when passing them at night, they look pretty grotesque but i like them. :001_smile:

i was in Italy last year, i thought i was in heaven. monster old pollards everywhere with all the timber logged and stacked with the brash piled to dry for pizza ovens. saw some oaks up the mountains beside old shacks. they must of been getting fuel out of these trees for centuries. These bad boys were in Barga.

597653c6e5620_Italypicsandpups061.jpg.0ab6403dcd20e31168c8d64933902116.jpg

Edited by Stephen Blair

probably going over old ground here but..

pollarding was trditionally carried out at the hgeight of summer to feed livestock when there was less nutrient in grass. We then thought what a cool way to control growth. problem is 1st time you do it, it checks root dev. but studies were carried in London on plane trees and clay soils- after 2nd or 3rd time root systems accellorated their growth and then theres a problem with buildings etc.

If you enter into a pollard regime and you stop then decay sets in in those pollard points, it could turn into legal cases eg. plenty of cases in the past re failure of pollard points on L.A street trees.

Dont like em. but seen plenty and sometimes thet can be sculpure-esk.

@Rich Rule ... i've seen similar on the shore of the Bodensee (Lake Constance) in the town of Freidrichshafen.... madder looking even... will post the pic when i find it. Wierd-looking things, branches trained out horizontally to pollard knuckles. Looks "ugly" but nevertheless has a kind of aesthetic appeal. Doesn't look natural but is it right to really talk about "natural" bearing in mind that hybrid plane was developed specifically as an urban tree? One of its advantages in this context would be that it takes relatively well to pollarding(?)

" plane trees and clay soils- after 2nd or 3rd time root systems accellorated their growth and then theres a problem with buildings etc. "

This is confirmed by the investigations of Biddle ( I think ) the foremost expert in this aspect of urban tree interactions ( uk )

It was found, and you can correct me if I get this wrong please, that the regrowth from pollards requires more water than if they had been left....the roots themselves do not cause the damage but is the result of the clay soils shrinking and rewetting due to water usage anomalies....caused by the demands from tree growth (cell division) and leaf opening ( water pressure required )....Transpiration and then dormancy....(?) This causes " heave "

Monkeyd will know about this I'm sure as the LTOA are concerned with clay soils and the interactions of trees, soils, foundations and management strategies...Oh no...the pollard thread again..help!!

i was in Italy last year, i thought i was in heaven. monster old pollards everywhere with all the timber logged and stacked with the brash piled to dry for pizza ovens. saw some oaks up the mountains beside old shacks. they must of been getting fuel out of these trees for centuries. These bad boys were in Barga.

A proper job indeed !:001_smile: