Old growth Doug fir removal

Paul Barton

why would Gord have been "crapping himself"? Or why would there have been "no skin of his knuckles" Neither comment makes any sense at all.

"What does "enjoy a good pollard" hgave to do with doing that work and creating a habitat snag? By the way, pollarding isn't much done around these parts.....and prolly not at all where Gord works, in semi-rural BC.

You guys say some funny things.....

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What does "enjoy a good pollard" hgave to do with doing that work and creating a habitat snag? By the way, pollarding isn't much done around these parts.....and prolly not at all where Gord works, in semi-rural BC.

Hey RB, I'm presuming that the 50' "habitat snag" which Gord left at the end of that Monster reduc, is what we here in the Uk would call a Monolith (dead standing trunk for habitat)

Suprised that a dead trunk will be left so close to a made up path and in such a heavily used public location (golf course).

Was under the impression that this is not too common a practice back on your side of the pond, can you possibly expand on this?

Cheers

David

why would Gord have been "crapping himself"? Or why would there have been "no skin of his knuckles" Neither comment makes any sense at all.

there was no hidden meaning in what i said, he is over a 100feet up that monster tree with a big hanging limb beside him. i just presumed he is human and may of been worried. my experience of climbing big pines(none of this size)usually ends up with not much skin on my knuckles after climbing with that rough bark and the odd slip on the spikes. the pollard comment was meaning he looks like the kind of guy who enjoys dismantling but that is just my assumption. i meant no disrespect, i already said i was really impressed with his work. :001_smile:

monkeyd, we do a fair bit of snagging.

My guess is, that fir, even though it has a slight lean, will stand for many years. Risk is way low.

But normal SOP is to allow 1.5 tree lengths from the snag to where structures or paths, etc are....

there was no hidden meaning in what i said, he is over a 100feet up that monster tree with a big hanging limb beside him. i just presumed he is human and may of been worried. my experience of climbing big pines(none of this size)usually ends up with not much skin on my knuckles after climbing with that rough bark and the odd slip on the spikes. the pollard comment was meaning he looks like the kind of guy who enjoys dismantling but that is just my assumption. i meant no disrespect, i already said i was really impressed with his work. :001_smile:

100 feet up is low around these parts...and I doubt that limb was about to break off.

Where Gord lives, there's more big trees that in my area, around Seattle. It's rare for me to be up over 160 feet, or in a tree over 5 feet dbh. I know he enjoys dismantling biggies, me too.

Cheers