Wood Chippers on Ebay!

PeteB

Part of my role within GreenMech is to keep a watch as to what is going on in the second hand and used market....I see so many "professional" chippers and other non-compliant machines that are advertised on eBay and other such sources that I do wonder who buys them!?!

I occasionally contact the seller to inform them that their machine is non-compliant to save them from possible further litigation or any injuries but i am surprised with the reactions at times. "It comes from China and they don't make s+=t!", "Get lost, I don't care if some Muppet feeds his arm in!", "it is a private sale, therefore I'm not covered by HSE!" are just a few of the examples.

Even when I do guide them to the HSE website, they still don't think that the regs apply to them!

I would provide the link to show examples but that would be wrong:sneaky2: Everyone has a right to earn a living but why do these things get sold and who too?

Where new legislation is brought in maybe manufacturers should recall previous models without the new safety tech and perform retro fits to bring the (now dangerous?) machines they have profited from up to current safety standards.

Are the end users expected to bin their current machine? why shouldn't they sell their current machine they paid ££££ for to fund the new more up to date model?

Ebay doesn't do anything til its to late and sold. Others like farmers young lads or old just starting there on lil company will buy them too. As im looking at starting up myself within the next 18 months and i cant afford a £15.5k chipper so even i maybe in the same vote when the time comes

I can understand your issue's with such sale's . To be honest I would not take to kindly to people contacting me just to inform me that the machine is not HSE compliant . Most likely when said machine's were new they were compliant . I for one would want as much money as possible for an older chipper that most likely had served me well . Just my thoughts and by no way am I having a go .