Qualifications for winching and forwarding with a tractor

ECD Highland

hello all

I have a couple of jobs coming up where i am going to need a tractor with winch and a forwarding trailer with crane to get the stuff out the woods.

I want to operate and drive the tractor and trailer myself, What kind of Tickets/Qualifications do i need to do this?

The requirement under health and safety at work 1974 and later the Provision and Use of Working Equipment regs is that you should be trained and competent to do the work.

In my day the industry standard for proof of this was the NPTC Forest Machinery Operator Certification scheme and for a agri tractor based forwarding unit you would need units 1.3 and then unit 3.4 or 3.5 depending on where the grapple loader was mounted and 4.1 for line skidding using a winch on the same sort of tractor. Things then get different if the tractor is articulated. If it's still the same then it is still an overly complicated and expensive assessment system but has nothing on CPCS

hello all

I have a couple of jobs coming up where i am going to need a tractor with winch and a forwarding trailer with crane to get the stuff out the woods.

I want to operate and drive the tractor and trailer myself, What kind of Tickets/Qualifications do i need to do this?

Thanks

You shall require the FMO NPTCs. If it's a regular tractor you need FMO 1.3 if it's an alpine frame steer jobbie 1.4. For the forwarder you have to do either 3.4 3.5 or 3.6 depending on weather you have a trailer roof or pinion crane. You do one and get the rest now. As for Skidding i think its unit 4 on the FMO.

Just a heads up that the FMO stuff can get very expensive. Can also be a pain to find a trainer/assessor.

I guess from your name your north of the border? If your in the borders area I can pass on a contact for the FMO trg & assess. I've just jumped through similar hoops plus my purpose built 8 wheel drive forwarder, wasn't too bad as there's a lot of common info in the base units and activity units.

Thanks heaps for the info:001_smile:. I have been told this is a very helpful forum,

FMO. Does this work by getting a provisional licence for 6 months? During this 6 Months i can teach myself to do everything, then go for the Assessment Units?

Or does there have to be a competent person present on the job during those first 6 Months?

As expensive as nptc 32,34,35?

Cheers

I guess from your name your north of the border? If your in the borders area I can pass on a contact for the FMO trg & assess. I've just jumped through similar hoops plus my purpose built 8 wheel drive forwarder, wasn't too bad as there's a lot of common info in the base units and activity units.

Aye up North. Near Inverness. Any Contact info would be awesome.