Arb practices in London

Paul Barton

I spent 5 days in London over christmas and took a few walks around parks and nearby woods while i was there. I was struck by some of the differences in tree management compared with home in Bristol.

I noticed quite a bit of tree work aimed at encouraging dead wood or early retrenchment - eg coronet cuts, tear cuts, and creating monoliths.

I realise that probably across London there are different arb officers with different habits/aims but wondered if London and the arbs there are attempting to be a bit more cutting edge (no pun intended) than those elsewhere. I don't know too much about the LTOA (london tree officers association) - are they regarded as forerunners in their field?

FWIW I think I was on monkeyd's patch quite a bit but also down in Richmond Park. It was good to see something different from the constant reductions and pollards that happen around here.

I spent 5 days in London over christmas and took a few walks around parks and nearby woods while i was there. I was struck by some of the differences in tree management compared with home in Bristol.

I noticed quite a bit of tree work aimed at encouraging dead wood or early retrenchment - eg coronet cuts, tear cuts, and creating monoliths.

I realise that probably across London there are different arb officers with different habits/aims but wondered if London and the arbs there are attempting to be a bit more cutting edge (no pun intended) than those elsewhere. I don't know too much about the LTOA (london tree officers association) - are they regarded as forerunners in their field?

FWIW I think I was on monkeyd's patch quite a bit but also down in Richmond Park. It was good to see something different from the constant reductions and pollards that happen around here.

Shame I was away Paul, I would of been very happy to have shown you round 'my patch'

Ricmonds' veteran work is carried out by 'The Tree Company' partly to Nevile Fayes' original spec.

In dealing with the LTOA (i go to most quartery metings) I haven't found many TO's to be too open to fracturing.

In my experience, with regards to the Capital It's mainly ourselves (the City of London) and both the Crown estates and Royal Parks that are progressively and routinely using these types of techniqes.

Be very intrested to hear if anyones opinion differs with regards to this in the london area.

Regards

David

By the way, i noticed a pretty hazardous dead oak over the footpath in Grovelands park in case that's one of yours!

But seriously, I am always impressed with the trees in London; massive Planes on small streets that overhang multi-million pound houses/huge parks full of mature trees/nice patches of woodland in between urban estates - it's great. Well done London!

But seriously, I am always impressed with the trees in London; massive Planes on small streets that overhang multi-million pound houses/huge parks full of mature trees/nice patches of woodland in between urban estates - it's great. Well done London!

i hope it stays that way, big mature trees can work in the urban enviroment, without to much over zealous pruning. Unfortunatly I think things are changing.

It was good to see something different from the constant reductions and pollards that happen around here.

I know what you mean! Westbury-on-trym and southmead especially, I would hate to have to re-pollard those thousands of limes.