the floods, the water men and a bunch of accountants....

tuttle

more houses = more tarmac and water getting into the rivers so much quicker than it would have done.

Yep your right.

Water getting to the rivers quicker is what causes the flooding down stream. What we need to happen is water soaking away into the ground and filling the under ground aquifers.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey, well done you but I'm suprised they havnt had you on some health and safety grounds like they do every time someone try's to do something like that.

I had a life vest on and got strapped to the truck via a 5 ton strop and a d shackle. I was surprised nobody complained about the fact that we had to repeat the process atleast 3 times to get the crud out of the grates and the fact our H + S wasn't up to standard but we were doing it out of good faith.

Our water companies are owned by the french so what do you expect ?

If they make fresh water scarce they can charge more for it :sneaky2:

Buy not allowing it to enter the water table and causing it to make a flood where it gathers they can pass the buck to the EA and then when the water tables drop put us all on water metres.

I had a life vest on and got strapped to the truck via a 5 ton strop and a d shackle. I was surprised nobody complained about the fact that we had to repeat the process atleast 3 times to get the crud out of the grates and the fact our H + S wasn't up to standard but we were doing it out of good faith.

Matt your part of the problem, in the short term you help the home owners (only one of which thank,d you ) in the long term your just helping the developers

Our water companies are owned by the french so what do you expect ?

If they make fresh water scarce they can charge more for it :sneaky2:

Buy not allowing it to enter the water table and causing it to make a flood where it gathers they can pass the buck to the EA and then when the water tables drop put us all on water metres.

Our local water company is owned by a conglomerate of Australian and Canadian

pension companies that go under the name of Osprey (ironic hey).

It won't be many years before everyone is on a water meter.

I had a water meter fitted 1yr ago.

Since then I halfed my bill!

I store water for the odd outside use, not use my hosepipe since.

gas, electric and water are ripoff industries and give false information, I recently challanged swalec on mis-information in their printouts:sneaky2:

I'm not really sure flooding is mostly caused by new housing schemes, tarmac, etc. Aerial photography shows that this is still largely a green and pleasant land. The main alterations to hydrology in a catchment must be from agriculture, draining fields, ploughing, overstocking (causes poaching) and in some cases plantation forestry. Urban areas are the victims, not usually the causes, of floods, it's just that there are more, and more spread-out, urban areas than before.

Now I'm not having a go at farmers but do we as a country need to be striving for self sufficiency in food commodities from our farmland or could we use it to slow up water? Take out field drains, dig swailes, grow trees more sympathetically, allow rivers to meander (Google a booklet "Fish Live in Trees Too"), reintroduce beavers. Maybe the insurance companies would pay?