4X4 Advice??

Mozza

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get that out of my 'crappy old' 200tdi discovery. In all fairness, its the strict emissions controls that cause modern 4x4s to use more fuel. Next one for me will be a td5 as i find it a very nice engine to drive, all the power I require and always there when and where I want it.

Is that a transit engined model?
No its my wifes td5, it has been to twisted performance and runs 208bhp, we have made a few extra mods after twisted had it to get that extra. The biggest mpg add on was the discovery transfer box knocking the gear ratio right up.

If you rag it it does use the juice but be sensible and its fantastic, the 35mpg is on the motorway sitting at 70ish.

I reckon people get way to interested in MPG's. If you do a high milage it will make a difference but for 10,000 miles a year or less its peanuts compared to depreciation etc.. I worked out I was going to save a few 100 quid a year when changing from my 1.8 diesel berlingo (45mpg) to my 2l petrol (30mpg) honda FR-V.

Assuming 10,000 miles a year, petrol at 90p a litre:

A car doing 30 MPG's would cost £1,363

A car doing 45 MPG's would cost £909

Only £450 a year.. When you go using more expensive diesel it's even less. Then you add in the extra servicing most diesels need and the additional cost.

I got the figures from this site:

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

Disco seemed to cost a fortune and crap MPG. Shogun was a crap ride (well the driving ones were). Gone back to the hi lux double cab,use it for work and pleasure. Pulls great,best ride of all and I put dogs in a cage,trailer on and off we go camping. Look like the dingles so we avoid C & C club sites but all good fun.

Peugeot 205 diesel, best offroader ever. Fit mud tyres and sump gaurd then if going gets too slippy back it up, if going gets too rough ram it up. I used to take mine over the brash matt to get deisel to the harvester and it once went over a ploughed field to take tools to the tractor. All this for 250quid and 50mpg. Dont try towing though as the trailer decides where the car goes. And you dont even need a jack for it as its so light you can lift it. they are a miracle of engineering

it has been to twisted performance and runs 208bhp, we have made a few extra mods after twisted had it to get that extra.

the 208hp would depend on how much % power loss you attribute between flywheel and road wheels thus your WHP on the dyno, the drive-train in the Land Rover is not as inefficient as they would have you believe ;)

its very easy to fudge dyno results or use flexible HP standards to ones advantage.

Tried new navara didn't like its poor service record always needing things fixed and even the saleman admitted he woudn't buy one .

The L200 was like sitting in the north sea and with the coil spring option fitted it was very juddery even on smooth roads.

The ford's and mazda's are basically the same.

I ended up buying a hilux but the choice is yours as it is a personal as what i like you probably wouldn't .

Happy hunting but get one home for a 2+day trial then buy what suits you woudn't change my 110 though..