Scam Google call

rovers90

I had a call on Wednesday from the following number - 01612282134. The guy called himself Marvin and said he was phoning from Google. He stated he could guarantee I would appear in top five when somebody searched for firewood in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I was bit suspicious as he was very unprofessional in the manner and language he used. Eventually got round to price - £125 plus vat for a month, no commitment, etc so I said ring tomorrow when I've had to think about it. He then got quite shirty saying he only had one place left, I had to decide today and he only had a few numbers to ring so it would go. I replied I did not respond to pressurised sales tactics and he took offence saying he wasn't pressurising me - but I had to take it now or max within the hour!! And that wasn't putting pressure on me!! Needless to say I didn't take it.

I rang the lad he recently revamped my web site and he said it sounded too much for Google and I mentioned it to Steve Bulman at the APF and thought it was a scam. Have just googled the number and there are a few sites relating to this number confirming it is a scam so do not give any bank details out.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a call on Wednesday from the following number - 01612282134. The guy called himself Marvin and said he was phoning from Google. He stated he could guarantee I would appear in top five when somebody searched for firewood in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I was bit suspicious as he was very unprofessional in the manner and language he used. Eventually got round to price - £125 plus vat for a month, no commitment, etc so I said ring tomorrow when I've had to think about it. He then got quite shirty saying he only had one place left, I had to decide today and he only had a few numbers to ring so it would go. I replied I did not respond to pressurised sales tactics and he took offence saying he wasn't pressurising me - but I had to take it now or max within the hour!! And that wasn't putting pressure on me!! Needless to say I didn't take it.

I rang the lad he recently revamped my web site and he said it sounded too much for Google and I mentioned it to Steve Bulman at the APF and thought it was a scam. Have just googled the number and there are a few sites relating to this number confirming it is a scam so do not give any bank details out.

i had a similar one from a chap who sounded northern. said i could advertise in the local magazine, i said can you send me some information. he said i will take your card details. my reply was.. why would i hand over my details if i was not purchasing anything. i am not the sharpest knife in the Block But i could smell something fishy. he could tell he was not going to get any where so cut me off!! the cheek of it!!

i had a similar one from a chap who sounded northern. said i could advertise in the local magazine, i said can you send me some information. he said i will take your card details. my reply was.. why would i hand over my details if i was not purchasing anything. i am not the sharpest knife in the Block But i could smell something fishy. he could tell he was not going to get any where so cut me off!! the cheek of it!!