companies with similar names

Paul Cleaver

There is a tree surgery company near to where I live who has a similar name to my own company - they are posting flyers around my neighbourhood.

I have no copyright on my name but I still wonder If this is legal

mine is Beechwood tree services and the other company is beechwood tree surgeons.

I have used the name for 22yrs

PS I dont other Beechwood tree services company names in other parts of the uk (there are one or two) as we are not in competition

any advise please

there is someone on here who's name is very similar to one i used to work under, im no bothered for a start dont trade under that name anymore anyway and as far as i can see it was parallel evolution cos i doubt they ever saw mine and untill recently i hadn't seen em :lol: i supose there may be a few chancers hoping to poach a bit of buisness but there must be a few companies around with similar names through sheer coincedence? :001_smile:

Start to worry if jobs you have applied and permissions granted for works are viewable over the internet. The was a company around here who used to knock on jobs where planning permission had been applied and granted. They wood turn up saying .... had sent them and could they crack on.

I ended up changing my company name after I bought my business partner out a few years ago. Best thing I ever did. The similar company named is renouned for what could be classed as "gypsy" standards. It was our fault from the start as we chose the name then realised after it was very similar to the opposition. But things were rolling by then. It's amazing how much extra work I get now with the different name. Funniest thing is that the said other company still goes around bad mouthing my company to our customers which on most occasions works out me getting the job as the client says its very poor practise to talk down the competition. I've never met the other owner either

I managed a company and the local gypsies copied our name. They got shirts printed.... Then went into a hire shop we used and rented a mower,strimmer, chain saw. Disc cutters etc and took the lot.

First we heard was when the police rocked up and tried to arrest my boss for ripping an oap to the time of £700 for a 10ft self set ash and a 3ft cypress!