Lone working and Forestry Commission

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS I was offered a deal £1 per year for me to pay the peppercorn rent. The contracts came back (dropped a lot of trees for the amount of paper)

same no lone working Sorry! HAD TO RING MY CONTACT EVERY TWENTY MINS??

Cold not make them understand that if I was renting the woodland the care of duty is down to me and not them.

By the way this woodland was not theirs but a community woodland given to the local council by the outcrop company.

I think that the boys and girls at FC are protecting their jobs never worked in the situations that we find our selves in.

This government has said that if any organisation gives out the wrong health and safety rules we the public can have readdress.

You will also find that the FC's health and safety is at least 40-50 year old and is solely for extraction.

• 2 weeks later...

The FC no lone working with a chainsaw is based on the fact that people do die using saws and felling trees and many deaths in forestry over the years could have been avoided if the deceased had been working with a buddy.

Forestry is 4 times more dangerous than the construction industry and the use are getting on the case of forestry at the moment.

I knew a long standing contractor who used to be a well known face about where I used to live who got clobbered by a falling branch whilst felling and died alone in the wood as nobody knew where he was until he didn't report home for dinner.

I guess the FC should be leading the way in health and safety. A lot of industry standard practice/ gear that we all use everyday was probably first introduced on FC sites. Remember arguing with a beat forester years ago about wearing a helmet or chainsaw trousers anyone...?

I support them and always have someone with me it just needs a bit of thinking and planning your work.

In my experience around the country most beat foresters are human, are usually supportive and just want to get things done but they do have to work with FC rules and procedures which they themselves may not be that happy about.

If you make an effort to understand what they have to deal with and be nice and communicate with them in my experience they'll help you as well as they can. Don't forget, they've all been through the mincer over the last few yrs and have bigger areas to cover, more paperwork and hassle just like the rest of us....