Wood burner -- its time.

Stubby

Thanks for all the replys . I have done the room volume calculation to see what kw stove to use and it seems to be smaller than I thought . I did try a small one a few years back but it was not s good as my open fire ( Honestly ). The other danger is to fit too larger stove so that you have to stand in the garden to cool off . I know you have to burn hard for a while each day to keep it clean and burn off any snot and crud up the flu . Then there is the other variable in as much as I open up all the doors and let the heat all around the house . I am worried 5kw will be a little short but 8kw may be too much ! -- tricky one !

We went from an open fire to a DRU44 earlier this year. The DRU is rated at 4.9kW but according to a few reviews I've read will chuck out more heat if cranked up.

It's also approved by the manufacturer for continuous rather than intermittent use; something the installer seemed impressed by (as well as saying he thought it was a well put-together piece of kit).

I know what you mean in a way about not being as good as an open fire though - even though it is much more efficient and doesn't get through anything like as much fuel for the output, there isn't the same feeling of fierce heat as there was from an 18" grate. Not sure I can explain it properly but that's just how it feels.

The other big positive point is that with the vents closed down there is no big draft of air going up the chimney 24/7, sucking cold air into the house.

I know what you mean in a way about not being as good as an open fire though - even though it is much more efficient and doesn't get through anything like as much fuel for the output, there isn't the same feeling of fierce heat as there was from an 18" grate. Not sure I can explain it properly but that's just how it feels.

If it gets to hot we just open the stove door and use it like an open fire for a while, feels hotter at first due to radiated heat, after a while the room cools down as the warm air in the room is sucked up the flue. :thumbup:

Charnwood do a nice 6kw stove in the Country range, double angled doors and is ok to open doors back and run as an open fire (according to their website).:001_smile: