Opinions on a TPO'd Tree Application

Jack Price

Hi all, looking for peoples Opinions on a job I'm looking into for some friends, long story short, a friend of mine had a bad bike accident a few years ago leaving him paralysed from just below the neck down, him and his family had to move into a newly built bungalow making it Easier for him to get around.

Said bungalow has several large sycamore trees in the rear garden which the Tree officer himself agreed are overgrown and block a fair bit of light and could do with some work to bring them to a more suitable size to suit the garden.

I went through all the correct steps, had a site visit with the T-O, then submitted two applications- 1 for reducing the trees and another for removing the trees and replacing with a smaller species.

the application went to a committee meeting which the tree officer did state would happen. me and the client heard nothing until we read this in the local paper, written by a next door neighbour.

I would like to hear other peoples opinions just out of curiosity, any advice would be welcomed.

thanksImageUploadedByTapatalk1346355973.656645.jpg.0ceb4565841ef90de634355c6a354742.jpg

My opinion... because you asked.

Sycamore reduction is a horrible thing to do. It would need doing every few years after.

Removal and replanting is better or even big crown raise :-)

Why buy a house underneath massive TPO trees? They have been there longer than the house is my guess.

I doubt that was something they thought about to be fair, it's not even that they don't like the trees, they would just prefer more sunlight weather that be reducing original trees or replanting slower growing trees

Their solicitor will have told them about the TPO's, as they would come up when they did their "search".

What about the 25% reduction suggested? And perhaps the tree outside the garden - reduction there? Might be worth speaking to TO. Definitely GOOD that they can't be felled in light of TPOd trees already having been felled to make way for the bungalow. That article only mentions the felling - what's happened with the application to reduce? Who lopped off the lower branches without permission?

Re the son needing sunlight to treat a vit D imbalance.... well, perhaps leave of the sunscreen for a few hours.