Marlow Boa lanyard

Arran Turner

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is dynamic rope? Just thought it would be neat for rec climbing. Could be useful at work. Will have a play and report back . Can you use a cinch instead of a prussic on a secondary line ? Or can someone explain where you can and can't use a cinch

Arran

Why not just get one piece of rope that you can then put a cinch or ART positioner on that you can use at work and play. I have a 5m blaze lanyard with a positioner and its a pleasure to use. I know everything is rated and suited for its purpose.

STOP IT, Rob! You're simplifying the problem! :biggrin:

dynamic rope means there is give in the rope to aid falls.

static means the rope has very little if not any stretch.

both are ok for lanyards as you are not going to drop far.

as for the silky worries, why not replace the core of your rope with dyneema, it will knock loads of weight off and any silky will struggle to cut through it 2 to 4 strokes.

a dynamic rope is one designed to absorb 'lead falls' and typically complies with BSEN 892

when changing over some people hav a habit of climbing aove their anchor or leaving allot of slack in their lanyard as they have secure footing etc. a resulting fall could cause serious injury, a rope compliant with BSEN 892 mitigates the risk by absorbing some of the impact.

anyone that thinks a thinner rope (under tension or not) takes as long to cut through than a thicker one has not cut much rope (i cut thousands from 3mm to 38mm, DB, Kernmantle, TB, HB, polyester nylon, zylon, vectran, dyneema, technora, kevlar, mixes & blends off all the above the subject has in fact been researched and standards designed to 'rate' the severability on ropes such as the UIAA sharp edge resistance test, when testing ropes under this standard it soon becomes VERY apparent that the ticker the rope of the same makeup the harder it is to cut but hey what'd i know???

i dont mean to bang on i just see it as a safety matter, please note the GTGCP clearly states: minimum friction cord diam' 8mm, minimum lifeline diamiter 10mm ........

Lightweight, small easy to compact up, carry more lanyard due to the above reasons, use variety of diffrrent hardware with it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

all well and said ewan but iv never found a lanyard to be too heavy. iv never stood at thebottom of a tree and thought"i wish my lanyardwas a feww 100grms lighter"

Also hardware usually conforms too a minimum andmaximum rope diametre. not just for a thinner line

Jake:thumbup1: