Aldi saw

Rich2484

As I see it, its not a law that will get anyone arrested, more a code of conduct set by the saw manufacturers by which the dealers abide on the whole.

If a code is set, it becomes the norm, if it is then broken and an accident follows then the dealer who broke the code stands on his own.

The code has been set in response to the HSE guidelines on the use of top handles, which states that only trained operatives can use them. It therefore follows that only trained operatives should buy them.

That is my brief take on it. Others may have more to add.

I work in the mewp access industry there are the usual guidelines set by HSE, IPAF and other training bodies.

Its is not a legal requirement to have training or a operating ticket for a mewp, in fact there is no legal requirement to even wear a safety harness in a mewp, sensible yes but a legal requirement no.

I was at Capel Manor Show a few years ago, I asked about the cost of chainsaw training, I was lead to believe by their staff that I had to attend one of their mewp training course before I could attend a course for using chainsaw in a mewp, even though I held an "IPAF Demonstrators Licence".

Now don't get me wrong I'm not against training, but there are some companies/training bodies that are using the HSE guidelines just to screw money out of people for training.

And controlling the purchase and use of equipment by requiring them to have something that isn't even a legal requirement.

One question, is it a legal requirement to have chainsaw certs or is it just highly recommended for work purposes, not private home use???

Edited by zzr1200

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zzr no it's not legal for private work but I'm pointing out as are some that it would be nice to see some ppe sold alongside the saw, even if it's a bit of a token gesture so at least people can protect themselves if they wish.

I'm sure after the people everyone reads about and posts on here wish they had some before they hurt themselves but that's all hindsight......

as for the op's post, think i might go for it, £80 and 3yr warranty, taking out 20 leylandii trees at home, so it will hopefully be perfect for cutting the roots once i have dug around them, which i would want to use my good saws for! :thumbup1:

Edited by chrissishrimp

I work in the mewp access industry there are the usual guidelines set by HSE, IPAF and other training bodies.

Its is not a legal requirement to have training or a operating ticket for a mewp, in fact there is no legal requirement to even wear a safety harness in a mewp, sensible yes but a legal requirement no.

I was at Capel Manor Show a few years ago, I asked about the cost of chainsaw training, I was lead to believe by their staff that I had to attend one of their mewp training course before I could attend a course for using chainsaw in a mewp, even though I held an "IPAF Demonstrators Licence".

Now don't get me wrong I'm not against training, but there are some companies/training bodies that are using the HSE guidelines just to screw money out of people for training.

And controlling the purchase and use of equipment by requiring them to have something that isn't even a legal requirement.

One question, is it a legal requirement to have chainsaw certs or is it just highly recommended for work purposes, not private home use???

ZZR I have a current MEWP ticket, I also have all the CS saw, chip, grinding and climbing tickets. The only one I dont have is is a CS47. If I am doing work at home (private), No Problem to use one with a saw. No ticket needed. If I use a mewp for work, I will need a cs47 ticket. In my opinion this ticket is a bit overkill in my case. Rigging from ropes or mewp, the same rules apply. Stay safe, know the limits etc. I Climb safely and use platforms occasional, not for tree work. If the tree is unsafe to climb, there are other companies, who will do the job. I don't like ladders, towers or platforms. Ivy and S.Jack, or Fire and prussic to stay fit..

just my two cents worth.

Zzr no it's not legal for private work but I'm pointing out as are some that it would be nice to see some ppe sold alongside the saw, even if it's a bit of a token gesture so at least people can protect themselves if they wish.

I'm sure after the people everyone reads about and posts on here wish they had some before they hurt themselves but that's all hindsight......

Sorry, we seem to have a mis-understanding, I fully agree that they should offer some PPE for the purchaser I'm not arguing that point, even someone you could ask questions, but thats what "Operator Manuals" are for the trouble is generally, they are just filed.

What I'm trying to clarifiy is for my own interest, "is there a legal requirement to have chainsaw certs for commercail work or is it a HSE recommended guideline that has now become the norm" as in people see a HSE guidelines as an unwriten law not a recommendation.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg317.pdf

This should explain it.

"should" being the operative word, used extensively throughout. Not "must". However an employER will have legal obligations to protect his employEE, and to help prove that he has done everything to protect his employEE then it is useful for the employER to be able to show proof of suitable traning and employEE comptetency. The employER may be in a situation where he MUST prove that his employEE has received suitable training provision, and relevant tickets provide this proof.