Starling Problem

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar problem with roosting starlings. The residents actually liked to watch them, but they would poop all over the paintwork of the houses as they circled to roost. i strung a line of old CDs the length of the hedgerow (high laurel) at a position where they caught the setting suns rays. After a few fly-pasts they re-located to nearby clump of sycamores, away from the houses.

Always feel a bit sorry for starlings personally:sad:

Round here, there's often a piece in the local rag when they are doing their late afternoon flights saying what an incredible sight it is and telling folk where and when to go and have a look at them.

But also round here, a row of old conifers was felled near the railway station because the starlings had chosen to roost there and the locals were making a fuss about them. I suppose they'll be happy when there are no birds or anything else slightly unhygienic left eh?

Oh - not that I particularly agree with shifting them on - but there is some sort of electronic noise thing you can get. Had one in a factory I used to deliver to, and I hope it was one of those noises you stopped hearing once you got used to it, 'cos it used to annoy the hell out of me when I was in there! Holland's Pies in Accrington used to get regular visits from a local Falconer just out of interest!

Andy

Edited by County4x4

my father has a cat scarer that just plugs in and sends out high pitch signal that affects them and not us

A few years ago we had to heavily thin trees in piazza in town as birds were roosting and defecicating on all the shoppers

so maybe thin all the conifers could be an interesting project

my father has a cat scarer that just plugs in and sends out high pitch signal that affects them and not us

A few years ago we had to heavily thin trees in piazza in town as birds were roosting and defecicating on all the shoppers

so maybe thin all the conifers could be an interesting project

I topped the conifers before and they have told me they will be having them done again this year, but they are there as a sound and vision barrier so height and thickness / density is an issue

I saw a documentary about these birds in africa once, i think they were calles quilia?? anyway they go about in a huge flock like a plague of locusts destroying all the crops. The local solution was to find the roost site and bury big charges just inder the ground and then stack 45gallon drums of diesel on top of these, wait for dusk and BOOM.. 50000 roast chickens. Dont know if you can get away with this in Huddersfield but if you decide to give it a go let me know as I'd love to watch:tongue_smilie: