In Desperate times...My Silky saves the day!

silky fox

Stumpgrinding course today so while we were waiting for the assesor to arrive we sorted out the Container of Shiney things...we began the course with a couple of hours going through legislation and theory which i didn,t mind...i value the tickets i have achieved and this is just another valuable ticket:001_smile: then of to Gunnersbury Park for some practical stuff...assesment on thursday....in the meantime...Buxtons tommorow and our first new Groundie:biggrin:

59766291036cb_stumpycourse052.jpg.853096c85da920355816532ed1e81efb.jpg

59766291016f0_stumpycourse042.jpg.9d1f848237b7b7b1cf7ffb17e01bdf70.jpg

59766290f3b1b_stumpycourse037.jpg.2399e1b38d56e55fb6e63b2fad67f5cc.jpg

59766290f1f6c_stumpycourse019.jpg.98953b8489860da2fc22158f35d282ff.jpg

59766290f0067_stumpycourse020.jpg.2270b3b8567a95326d91435df69da136.jpg

59766290eb84e_stumpycourse014.jpg.e89d28eac1c2346e3fa576c828add705.jpg

59766290ea056_stumpycourse006.jpg.fcc1bbe03dfa2a67ca1c0358b4445d7d.jpg

59766290e8a69_stumpycourse004.jpg.9bba0f4a9607ab863ec0785d43bdb525.jpg

59766290e6b6c_stumpycourse003.jpg.21d715d94fd0d4915c432cf4597c9f04.jpg

Edited by silky fox

Hi Silky...it's been puzzling me for days.

Why are you having your saw sent up in its scabbard...is it to protect your rope?

And... isn't it a pain having the scabbard stuck down your butt?

And.... does it fall off on the way up?

And ...will this catch on?

And...Is it because its a new saw?:001_smile:

Hi Silky...it's been puzzling me for days.

Why are you having your saw sent up in its scabbard...is it to protect your rope?

And... isn't it a pain having the scabbard stuck down your butt?

And.... does it fall off on the way up?

And ...will this catch on?

And...Is it because its a new saw?:001_smile:

The 201s have a scabbard that clips onto the side case so doesn't fall off. It also has an attachment point at the Nose end so can be sent up with the saw sitting flat.

For the record I've never worked out why you would do the last bit as it must just get snagged on everything when pulling up. I've also never had the saw on my belt with scabbard but each to there own an all that!

The guide bar never catches my rope on the way up...i never notice i,m carrying it..it,s like holstering a weapon:001_smile: takes seconds to do and makes life easier:thumbup: horses for courses...i like an easy life these days and the way i climb and work now is the most economical and energy saving i have ever worked...without any drama

The guide bar never catches my rope on the way up...i never notice i,m carrying it..it,s like holstering a weapon:001_smile: takes seconds to do and makes life easier:thumbup: horses for courses...i like an easy life these days and the way i climb and work now is the most economical and energy saving i have ever worked...without any drama

So have you got the scabbard mounted somehow on yourself so that the saw goes back in each time, which does sound rather good/

I just got sick of things snagging...or catching...however rare i just knew the easiest way to eliminate it was plastic and orange and right under my nose! The scabbard:cool: because i am now well away from production tree work i have time to do things at a more gentle and smooth pace:)

When i first came to London i had already been using a throwbag for a couple of years...the first lead climber i worked with here used to say ,"We don,t have time to use one of those!" it used to take a few minutes to undo the triples from the rack...carry them to the tree and position them whilst they were footed until the climber was into crown break and then taking them down and out of the way...i now know from experience that the throwbag will be quicker in most cases and of course the climber is installed ready to work at any work station...why use airstreams over a pair of old Aquafell "Divers boot" with the sole hanging off or mechanical prussick?? why not use a silky for certain cuts that require dexterity or a hold?? "Havent got time for that" or "Too much effort"...just use a chainsaw............I have evolved so much in the last few months and on this great day "Buxtons rep arriving on site with shiney stuff" i now see that through my own preference i ca choose what i use to make my job easier without worrying how other people do it! i have been told by my new Boss that i can choose any bells and whistles and a Tree motion Harness! that i need today........REALIZATION! i shall of course be replicating my own kit... P.S learnt a bit from Drew B this morning with something he said....Loving your work Bro!:thumbup: in a nutshell....Don,t listen to negativity.....Use what you want or feel will make your life easier in the tree...:001_smile:

597662958a512_BigShot!012.jpg.4ee800ff13330ead9cf4ce1ab5b4a4d6.jpg