Pole pruner keeps tightening chain.

MATTMOSS

I've got two heads in bits in a box. Both the same reason, oiler knackerd. It was easier to buy a new head than replace the oilers. Plus I'm waiting for a saw to go with the same oiler.

I don't like the oilers on these heads, it's a crap design of oiler IMO.

I've got two heads in bits in a box. Both the same reason, oiler knackerd. It was easier to buy a new head than replace the oilers. Plus I'm waiting for a saw to go with the same oiler.

I don't like the oilers on these heads, it's a crap design of oiler IMO.

I agree :thumbup1: Im going to strip it completely tomorrow, and then see how it goes.

I'm glad someone posted this- I've had these issues intermittently over the years with stihl. Normally just buy a new head as they are only cheap. I will have to investigate the gauze though I can't think that was the issue.

The idea of backing off the chain after each use is old school- does that really make any difference to oil pump issues?

I cleaned it all up and its working ok now, but i dont think it sends enough oil through.

I think it will just be a case of regular maintenance and making sure no crap gets in the oil when refilling.

(like im supposed to:001_rolleyes:)

Not the best design but saves a lot of climbing when only crown lifting.

Don't forget that when not oiling, as has been said , the heat build up will expand the bar causing a tightness of the chain but also the chain will stretch due to wear in the joining links, also through lack of lube , so when you get the oiling fixed you may run out of chain adjustment before the cutters are shot . just a thought .

I have an early, like ancient, pre-Echo original Power Pruner. There is no oiler on that, there is no oil reservoir. And guess what? The chain never runs tight, I grease the nose wheel regularly, squirt occasionally with an oil can if Im using it a lot, but that's it. modern tools are rubbish, not made like they used to be.... I remember the days when....waffle waffle waffle..".....