10 long years

Stephen Blair

25 years plus now, too late for change or is that i wouldnt want to change ? best have more beer & remaniss ???!!! just rememberd in 95 we were £6.50 an hr seemed pretty good then .

i bet you have seen some changes mate, when you started could you just have a big bonfire, thats what my old man used to do.:001_smile:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started in tree work in 2000, and went solo in 2002. I had quite a few jobs before that mostly in offices, I could never make them stick, all the jobs I had enjoyed in the past were poorly paid outdoor work on estates mostly, fencing, game rearing, tree planting and a little felling. I worked in the city for a while and then came back to Edinburgh, I was sat behind a desk one day bored witless, watching a guy out the window dismantling a willow and I thought thats the job for me; a couple months later I was braging brash for a local firm. I could'ns see myself doing anything else now, I wish I'd started 10 years earlier.

i bet you have seen some changes mate, when you started could you just have a big bonfire, thats what my old man used to do.:001_smile:

bonfires were great less draging ! great in winter nnot so great in summer .but we had a choice off 2, saws waite for it a danarm 110 or if it ran a danarm 55 god we were lucky no antivibe & manual oil pumps right f:thumbdown::thumbdown:king laugh things have in proved dont use hemp to climb on these days :001_tt2::

This is making me feel old :001_smile:

Thirty years climbing now. Went self-employed in 1987 with a Land Rover, Stihl 020, 041, 056, 075. Anyone remember the storm of '87? Went down south working from a caravan for a while.

Bought a chipper in '88 which put an end to fires. With the freezing temps at the moment it brings back memories of felling dead elms and huge fires you went back to next day. A quick stir with the fork, throw the brash on from the edge and you're toasting before you start work......better take my rose-tinted specs off now:001_smile:

This is making me feel old :001_smile:

Thirty years climbing now. Went self-employed in 1987 with a Land Rover, Stihl 020, 041, 056, 075. Anyone remember the storm of '87? Went down south working from a caravan for a while.

Bought a chipper in '88 which put an end to fires. With the freezing temps at the moment it brings back memories of felling dead elms and huge fires you went back to next day. A quick stir with the fork, throw the brash on from the edge and you're toasting before you start work......better take my rose-tinted specs off now:001_smile:

dead elms ? stripping bark of so we move the logs, spent 2 month@ british steel site in m/borgh felling hundreds off them then burning them after bug had left what a waste .:confused1:

dead elms ? stripping bark of so we move the logs, spent 2 month@ british steel site in m/borgh felling hundreds off them then burning them after bug had left what a waste .:confused1:

It's impossible to comprehend how much timber was burned after that bug had flown on to its next victim.

We did manage to get our biggest elm sold for repairing docks. That one measured 108' from stump to tip and was a straight fell.

still do that now, whenever we get the chance.:thumbup1:

few yr ago i burnt 125 ton of wood in the yard ,i was the most talked about chap in the village couldnt beleve how poplar i had be come even got in the local rag, la took a very dim view of the procedings tho ? they told to tidy the site up so did ,god it was fun :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Edited by Johny Walker