Yet another question about trailer licence laws :)

YoGi_93

so, Treemonkey, by your reasoning, plod could prosecute everyone for speeding by intent, as i said before its an urban myth, You must break a statute to be prosecuted, guilty by intent is not a crime, contary to what plod might think, they all seem to forget they are PUBLIC SERVANTS, there job is to serve us, not make up laws to suit themselves

It's the weight of the trailer when put on the weighbridge that counts, doesn't matter what it says on the plate or is capable of carrying what matters is when it's put on the big scales.

There is a link on here somewhere to the relevant legislation that vosa published stating this.

R

Go on the Ifor Williams' website

I passed my driving test after January 1st 1997, can I still tow a trailer? - New & Used Trailers - Horsebox, Livestock, Plant, Tippers, Car Transporters, Flatbed, Box Van, Spares

Is the MAM of the towing vehicle 3500 ks of less? --YES-->

Is the combined MAM of the towing vehicle and trailer 3500 or less? --NO-->

Does the trailer have a MAM of 750kgs of less? --NO-->

NOT PERMITTED TO TOW

Trailer MAM = The maximum combined unladen weight of the trailer

and the permitted load it can carry.

Vehicle MAM = The combined vehicle kerb weight (unladen weight and any load capacity

This may spark up a bit of heat but I just have a little query. I dont have a pre 97 licence so of course I realise I cant to anything over 750 kg. But it came to mind earlier, can I tow a trailer that is RATED at 2.7ton but actually only weighs say 600kg and has less than 150kg of equipment on? Making it less than 750kg still? I think that makes sence :confused1:

Trailer towing:- B and B+E licence rules explained

I wrote that post so perhaps I can help ....

On a B only (no B+E) licence you cannot tow that 2700 MAM trailer

It is the vehicle GVW added to the trailer MAM which must not be more than 3500 kgs

Actual weights do not come into the law regarding B licence towing rules

Also the trailer MAM must not be more than the listed kerbweight for the towing vehicle when B licence towing

A B licence holder can tow a braked trailer over 750 kgs and here is a legal example of that -

Vehicle

Kerb 1500

GVW 2000

Towing capacity 1400

Trailer

Unladen 400

MAM 1500

Load trailer with 1000 max as the towing capacity is lower than the MAM

Edited by ROG.

Right got you. Its just because ive got the trailer and I just wanted to see if the test is necessary because ill only be carrying a couple of mowers anyway so dont need the weight. To be honest ill probably just get the test it is alot of faff

Trailers can have their MAM downplated by the manufacturer of that trailer - just call them

For the test you are probably looking in the region of £650+

The B+E test

No medical or theory test required

Read a number plate from a certain distance

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqw6Ua3kmFc&feature=related]VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions[/ame] - usually 5

The next three can be in any order:-

VIDEO - Reversing Exercise - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_5KOe8dGg&feature=related]VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up[/ame] - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds

One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test. So you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.

DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS

NOT RECOMMENDED THOUGH

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER

In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.

They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.

All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.

The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -

The supervising driver must be aged over 21

The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years

L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer

Correct insurance for a B+E learner