Where does the money go?

Dave123

No one seems to have mentioned that we are highly skilled tradesman doing an incredibly dangerous job! Is that not worth more than minimum wage!?!

That is the biggest point ... Although some **** with a black n decker and no idea may disagree... Because its only cutting down trees next to a road not like they could kill any one or them selves if they have no idea but in there own heads a good plan.. Takes a Lot of training and then experience before you actually have an idea of how to get it right let alone actually getting it right!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately we are not classed as skilled tradesmen - but perhaps should be.

Consider the training cost for the team taking down the connies - the cost of experience and the face value of the relevant tickets - 30,31,maybe 32, perhaps 38,39 & 41 if they need dismantling rather than just cutting into the road.

chipper, chapter 8.

That's only because Rupe won the debate about whether we are skilled or not about 2 years ago on Arbtalk.

I would still beg to differ on this one.

Ding ding...round two:001_smile:

Tree work is not that difficult or dangerous.Your not in the SAS chappy.

I'm in this thread too much so will bow out in a bit.

However.

I've been meaning to say this for ages without the SAS bit.

It is actually not that difficult so this is a good and valid point worthy of serious consideration.

Well said.

While I was talking to my surgeon he mentioned that he had some tree surgeons coming to take out 30 connies, and "aren't you lot on a good whack?" I just replied that it wasn't as good as his "whack". Smug cock.

I've had the a similar thing, from someone in a call center.

In all truth we aren't in the eyes of anybody other than ourselves.

possibly because there is no recognised level such as corgi/gas safe, and never will be.

perhaps we are better off that way - we'd all complain if there were more rules and regs, eh.

There is such large variation in skill sets, from the fully ticketed and highly arboriculturaly knowledged to those running around with only 30,31,38+39 (or less) and doesnt know what it is - just how to cut it down.

then theres the fresh out of college but no practical experience and those with no tickets but a huge depth of knowledge an experience.

But we are off on a tangent

"Dangerous" is a little bit excessive really. There is an element of risk, but this is reduced considerably with training and practise. This is just a job, it ain't highly skilled, it does require an aptitude and a bit of common sense, it ain't rocket science. Of course, some work dangerously, take risks, or just don't think ahead.