Heating with Woodchips

Mr Ed

Why are'nt we heating our houses with woodchips?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Why are'nt we heating our houses with woodchips?

• Lack of Knowledge (what woodchip boiler? never heard of them)
    • Cost (damn things are to expensive)
    • Technical (my woodchips are the wrong size / shape / to dry / to wet)
    • Other reasons - please explain

The theory and practice of wood chip supply is ...

stack wood off the ground for 1 year with a sheet over the top sides open.

chip wood at roadside into lorry/trailer.

deliver.

the wood has dried from 50% moisture content to 35%mc and is suitable for use.

There is no need to chip fresh wood fuel as there is loss from ground contamination . the fresh chip composts and then need additional turning ( higher costs) Stacked wood dries better than heaped woodchip due to air flow. You also only need chip what you immediately need to use.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the links at the bottom of the page and click on perge they have a great site, i'm going to be fitting there systems in the coming year to add to my stove installations.

There are many companies that import or rebadge continental systems, (nothing wrong with this ) but its good to know that there is somebody in the UK with spares and technical backup , just in case.

Chris B

woodburnerinstallers.com

That link just takes you to a huge site, could not see which system you meant.

The theory and practice of wood chip supply is ...

stack wood off the ground for 1 year with a sheet over the top sides open.

chip wood at roadside into lorry/trailer.

deliver.

the wood has dried from 50% moisture content to 35%mc and is suitable for use.

Very much timber species and size dependent.

Only a very few species, such as Ash are at 50% when felled, Horse Chestnut is 150%.

I have a conventional log system just now, if I were building a house from scratch I'd have a boiler like Skyhucks coupled to a heat store running an underfloor system. I think chip systems are better suited to a very large house or an industrial / commercial situation.

Going back over the lst few posts,

The idea of this thread is about a Specific Boiler / Heating system for Tree surgeons.

A Tree surgeons boiler needs to be able to burn fresh chips, not stacked timber subsequently chipped. Stacking timber for large district heating systems works well, but I want a boiler that will take fresh chip out the back of the truck.

There are step grate systems out there that are as small as 10kw, but they are expensive, and are designed for breaking up the clinker from burning grain etc.

Its not essential to have a stepgrate system, a well insulated refractory lined combustion chamber will burn 60% MC chips, particularly if its an inclined grate.

I'm with Skyhuck. I think £5 -6k should buy a boiler and chip store.

Might be a new venture here Ed

design a system that works for this set up.

I have seen district systems with huge stroage bins and loader fed hoppers but a system like your thinking of could be very benifical especially if it is in the region of £5k

Might be a new venture here Ed

design a system that works for this set up.

I have seen district systems with huge stroage bins and loader fed hoppers but a system like your thinking of could be very benifical especially if it is in the region of £5k

HA. you read my mind...:001_smile:

Going to build myself a woodchip fired inclined grate furnace with 2 pass 30kw boiler. It will have to take fresh chips from my tree work, not g30 25% mc chips.

I'm going to design the whole thing onto a skid and put a roof and sides on it so it requires minimum installation costs.