Heating with Woodchips

Mr Ed

Why are'nt we heating our houses with woodchips?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Why are'nt we heating our houses with woodchips?

• Lack of Knowledge (what woodchip boiler? never heard of them)
    • Cost (damn things are to expensive)
    • Technical (my woodchips are the wrong size / shape / to dry / to wet)
    • Other reasons - please explain

Thought I'd get a discussion going on home heating with woodchips.

I'm sort of surprised that this is'nt a much bigger thing with tree surgeons, given the high gas / oil prices, and given we sit on an endless supply of free fuel.

I currently heat with logs, but after 30 odd years of doing so, I'm sick and tired of the work involved, especially when running the business takes so much time.

So I want an automated woodchip system, capable of combusting any old chips straight from my chippers.

Whats put me off so far is the high capital cost of units. I've been quoted anything up to £20,000, for a 30kw boiler!

So whats your thoughts? whats putting people off? Cost? Lack of knowledge?

Edited by Mr Ed

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly its got to be cost.

Also I think there might be issues with the storage? I'm guessing that the energy per cubic metre is lower with chip? Or is it about the same?

Compared to what? Logs? or Pellets?

expand on your percieved storage issues...

I want to try and reslove why this system is not being utilised further, when its so widely used across europe.

As many of you know I heat my home with this

Has any one else found you cannot go "advanced" when post without it putting up the post first, then as you try to attach the images you can run out of time:mad1:most frustrating

Edited by skyhuck

1)they are too expensive

Thats my biggest issue too.

2)i live in a terraced houce an we dont have the space for evrything that is involved.

so totally unsuitable for you? what do you heat with currently- logs?

3) domestic ones are very particular about quality of chip

Thats what I've found.

I think if a boiler of this type is to be succesfull, it must be capable of burning FRESH chips, straight from the chipper, without any screening.

The Only boiler I have come across so far that will do this is the REKA. I got quoted £20k for a full setup :rolleyes:

There may be a government grant to help out on establishing this sort of thing well worth looking into.

Space for most is an issue and initial cost for set up is quiet high.

Not sure on using anyold chips i think they need to be a certain moisture at minimum.

The type i have seen would use a loader to fill the hopper this then is augered into the boiler.

As many of you know I heat my home with this

As I was saying I use this boiler, its good as I do not need to cut and split the wood.

But it does have to be fueled daily.

Also as fire wood prices improve, I do feel I'm wasting wood, although it does burn pop and willow just fine.

I have wanted a chip boiler for a while now, but as you say Ed the cost is a little high, plus I would want one that is not too fussy about chip quality and moisture content.

597653bc61456_fires002.jpg.6d87f7b5057f86b5a39b47f031646e6f.jpg

597653bc5eaf0_fires001.jpg.767da38c871756b22ddb684a7465c0a9.jpg