HELP! Is there a decent old-school garage in the Glasgow / North Ayrshire area???!!!

TimberCutterDartmoor

This issue drives me completely nuts every time I visit my sister in Glasgow; she has a very rare 2001 Renault Clio Si dti 5dr which requires tlc in accordance with its age and mileage; but it never gets it due to the complete lack of infrastructure in this part of world to support older cars (older by a northern view / comparitively new by south west england standards).

I would do the work for her but the lack of a garage ramp ties my hands.

Right now it needs a front n/s wheel bearing and rear engine mount; the latter (aka pork chop mount) was supposedly replaced by yet another clueless motor engineer but surprise surprise they charged her for it but old mount still there and engine still moving too much on over-run and switch off etc. I could do this so easily myself with a ramp; my poor sister is so fed up (and I am really hacked off) with the disinterest we experience; there is a systematic agenda to send out of warranty cars to manchester where they filter out across the rest of the uk, hence the lack of infrastructure. We have spent the last 6 years trying to find an proper old garage that knows what a piston ring compressor is rather than what a 2012 version 7a fault code is to no avail.

Anyone got a ramp / reccomendation (had a reccomendation before ok but had a bad attitude), anti-depressants?!

Your question being are there not any garages in Glasgow that would take money off a lady to fix something that is worth less than their hourly rate?

I imagine they would , crazy as this sounds advice her on replacing her car with something newer and more up to date with modern motoring and servicing.

In tree terms, would you be so irrate if a company recomended it's best to stop paying for yearly 5 % reductions on an 11year old hybrid pop in the front garden, and fell and replant with a nice little Rowan?

Go by some ramps and get on it. They are only cheap to buy from a motor factors. If garages are a pain for you or her then don't go to one.

I have never needed a full vehicle ramp for anything I have done, a set of wheel ramps and a crawl board has always done me fine.

With 0% finance on a new motor these days its cheaper to scrap it than fork out to have it repeatedly fixed at garage prices. How much are you looking at per annum for repair costs, MOT, etc? I know it sounds ridiculous, but in the last 10 years or so Ive found it cheaper to buy new than try and keep an old motor running.

Your question being are there not any garages in Glasgow that would take money off a lady to fix something that is worth less than their hourly rate?

I imagine they would , crazy as this sounds advice her on replacing her car with something newer and more up to date with modern motoring and servicing.

In tree terms, would you be so irrate if a company recomended it's best to stop paying for yearly 5 % reductions on an 11year old hybrid pop in the front garden, and fell and replant with a nice little Rowan?

The car is worth £200 up here and £2000 quid at home. As per my original post, two totally different infrastructures; neither is wrong (altho I think the northern one is wasteful and discourages mechanical skill). An x reg car is very modern to me anyway! Hate modern cars - all electronic shite, no character, no soul, bullshitting arnold clark fodder.

Go by some ramps and get on it. They are only cheap to buy from a motor factors. If garages are a pain for you or her then don't go to one.

I have never needed a full vehicle ramp for anything I have done, a set of wheel ramps and a crawl board has always done me fine.

But my tool box is at home; not spending another 3 figures on tools tvm.

With 0% finance on a new motor these days its cheaper to scrap it than fork out to have it repeatedly fixed at garage prices. How much are you looking at per annum for repair costs, MOT, etc? I know it sounds ridiculous, but in the last 10 years or so Ive found it cheaper to buy new than try and keep an old motor running.

0%? Not here; 12% is kicking about between a-clark, vardy, halshaw, phoenix etc.

F.E: My Wife runs a jetta tdi; dealer servicing would cost us £500/year whereas me and my lovely old-school village proper garage get a years worth (average) for about £60-80. Devon and Cornwall rock for car care; lots of enthusiasts, commited to spanners instead of laptops and gleaming showrooms.

We have decided to have the car off her. It will run sweet as a nut with me for another 11 years + and save me a fortune; cheap to insure and run, self maintain, proper job!

An old car is only worth what someone will pay for it, anywhere. Worth only 10% of its value? Wow. 12% interest rate? Id be taking a trip somewhere else to buy. Or re-locating. Ive seen old cars in tidy condition for sale roadside here, just sit and rust, the market is just gone.