Climbing with a saw in type A's

Arran Turner

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At what point is heat assement "the " issue ?

:call2: HSE clarified that risk assessments should be carried out by the most competent person in team/site etc...

If something changes during work periods then task should be reassessed (this includes weather)

If it is decided that there is danger from heat stress, the most competent person may state that type a trousers can be worn.

Note, this would be measured against the experience/competents of the operator who will then climb in type a trousers.

If most competent person feels type a trousers are needed but climber is not experienced enough, guess what.... yes.... work should immediately stop until conditions are more favourable.

If climber decides to continue climbing in type c and becomes ill after it was assessed that temperatures are at dangerous highs, they should remember that their health and safety is their responsibility as well as their managers.

So.... there is no figure set by the HSE at which point everyone changes into type a trousers.

Hope that helps

Edited by McMichael

when working on the rail here in sweden, at first they wanted us to wear type c, jackets, plus fore arm protectors........... if we did that we would all die of heat stroke in the summer before we got half way up a tree.

Type A's offer less protection, but heat stroke is a high risk, people go strange in the head when they over heat. ill stick to my husky technical extremes that are very light, thin and cool, whilst the temperature is up but switch to type C's and then type c's class 2 as the winter goes on.

I'm of the attitude of I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, so type C's all the way for me. Anyway modern type C's are more flexible and cooler in the heat are they not? Seeing the damage caused to flesh via a chainsaw is more than enough to warrant some discomfort for me anyway.

Edited by ^TANK^