winch cable superwinch h14

Matthew Storrs

I have the above model on my landrover and its a real asset but is there a better way to stop the cable crisscrossing as it reels in onto the drum, I understand this damages/weakens the cable. I can't see anyway round it but wondered if there was some sort of device to enable the cable to reel in nicely. I know this problem applies to all winches and unless its pulling in a dead straight line its always going to crisscross. Any ideas anyone? thanks

for small winches the cable is a throw away item , ramsey do a kit that layers the rope on spool in , but not under tension , when spooling in try and get a pully block set up to align the rope straight onto the winch , to stop corner build up , you could use plasma rope it will take a bit more stress .if rope is crushed spool of at end of day and re layer , dont leave it on crushed . get a capstain winch and plasma rope .

• 7 months later...

jonmackeen, very interested to know the details, re: purchase info for this cable guide. I know the website is hisupplier.com, but the site is massive & if you could help me with navigation details ie model #, serial # etc it will be MUCH APPRECIATED. I have a Warn M8000 winch on my 97 Dodge & I use it for various ranch work and a cable guide that works with my fair lead would help extend the use & life of my cable. Thanks in advance, Corry ps do you remember the cost?

I would suggest Big Bolt is right, plasma or dyneema from Goodwinch and then when it overlays it doesnt matter, in fact the more it overlays the better as it stops it from tightening on itself. If you should happen to snap it there is little or no recoil unlike steel where you need to use a winch blanket every time.

Only draw back is the cost, plasma is 5 or 6 times the cost of steel but stronger.

The winch on my Unimog is fed onto the drum equaly but I have never seen this on a 12v fitted to a Land Rover, I doubt the above would be strong enough.

David Bowyer at Goodwinch do a device which does work, it halves the drum with a plate that slides over the front of the fairlead but I think it is only suitable for Dyneema or Plasma.

Check out page 5 of his price list.

http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/

Edited by treebloke

don't get plasma! get dynaline its significantly stronger which can mean that you can drop down a diameter meaning either longer pulls or more room on the spool & marginally more pull power (you loose less pull power with layers with synthetic as they 'bury' themselves when under high load) if you have the budget go for dynaline max, 11mm plasma is WEAKER than 9mm dynaline max!!! plasma is the biggest con going imo! great marketing **** product!

check out their web site, not 1 mention of its strength! guess why that is? they even go on to tell you that their re-crystallization test makes the fibers stronger than other dyneema as etc etc but why is it then you product is so weak??

BUY BRITISH BUY MARLOW!! i've been off roading all my life and have been using dyneema based cordage rigging everything from high lines to wind turbines when used correctly it out lives steel and in many cases is more abrasion resistant (i know seems wrong)

12mm dynaline or 11mm max would do you perfect and you'd never have to worry about the crossing again, the price however is allot more than steel but i'd recomend it all the same just don't buy plasma!! you'd have to go to like 14-15mm for the same strength!