landrover discovery 3

markstuarttosdevine

what would you get for towing a 20ft ifor with 2.5 tonne on the back then?

Are we talking 2500kg inc trailer or 3500kg inc trailer. The first is easy most 4x4 will do it . If you need to pull 3500kg we have td5 disco van ( long over due for change) or we have Amazon 1999 also over due for replacement. I personally will wait for the latest amazon used prices to drop. Or if you cant wait a good used amazon on 57 plate still 22 mpg but at least it wont fall to bits.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had a 56 plate from new, it great, no real issues, only get around 22mpg, but when the whole family are in it (there are 6 of us) the mpg per person is not so bad.

People slag them off, but often those you bad mouth them most have never actually owned one:sneaky2:

They are the highest selling 4x4, so there are bound to be some who have had problems, but a great many people change theirs for another, so they can't be that bad.

I have a 57 plate commercial and it is a great vehicle.

Had no problems in about 20,000 miles (it has almost 60,000 on it now)

Tows very well.

I have a manual and average 26.4, that is 2/3 of the mileage towing with a heavy tipper trailer on. If there is no trailer on I get over 30mpg.

Though I do drive like an old man and refuse to put the air con on because it drinks too much fuel.

Off road it is great too, as good as if not better than anything on the road. I am running General Grabber AT2's.

I know early ones had a few problems with the suspension and other issues but I think anything past 06 is fine.

I had a manual discovery 3 se 06 reg for nearly 4 years, I got about 26 to 28 mpg around town and about 32mpg on the motorway. I never had a spot of bother with it in just over 3 years until I had it re-mapped, then for the last 6 months I had nothing but trouble with it, and cost me an absolute fortune.

HI MARK I've just come in from bath and on the back of AA truck was new 12 reg D4 have a tow what a joke :thumb down:jon :thumbup:

Jon, all cars break down sometimes mate, I've seen Priuses [Prii???] Navaras, Civics, 7 series, A4's, ML's all sorts or everything on the back of tow trucks at some point.... even Land Cruisers! But I wouldn't say they're all rubbish because of that....!

Ref the D3 question, great truck, but to put it into perspective I just bought a Range Rover instead as I reckon they're more reliable...

If you can I'd save a few more pennies and go for a D4 [i couldn't], while the 3 is good there are bad ones out there, the D4 seems to have shaken that problem and in my experience is a fantastic vehicle. My boss has a 59 plate 3.0 GS auto he bought new, racked up a few miles now and never missed a beat. His previous 55 plate D3 HSE V8 did give quite a few problems....

Find a D4 mate...

Jon, all cars break down sometimes mate, I've seen Priuses [Prii???] Navaras, Civics, 7 series, A4's, ML's all sorts or everything on the back of tow trucks at some point.... even Land Cruisers! But I wouldn't say they're all rubbish because of that....!

Ref the D3 question, great truck, but to put it into perspective I just bought a Range Rover instead as I reckon they're more reliable...

If you can I'd save a few more pennies and go for a D4 [i couldn't], while the 3 is good there are bad ones out there, the D4 seems to have shaken that problem and in my experience is a fantastic vehicle. My boss has a 59 plate 3.0 GS auto he bought new, racked up a few miles now and never missed a beat. His previous 55 plate D3 HSE V8 did give quite a few problems....

Find a D4 mate...

HI WUSS yes mate we had a D4 for a week land rover give me as our hse was in to be fixed our 06 d3 se was far better then the hse if you get a good your ok like wuss said all car can be the same :thumbup1:jon :thumbup:

I remember when the td5 was the devils creation and we steered clear of it. But a nice cheap clean one came along about 4 years ago and has not given us any bother. The d3 cant be too bad as they still command 10k for an early one. We have a Lancruiser Amazon and they are not as good as people think sometimes and the parts are horrendous price. If you have a vx with all the toys like ours the suspension packs up and the hydraulic spheres are £600 ea. The moving steering column packs in and its £400 ea for the little motors. If you bought a 54 plate the air con pipe corrodes cos of the salt on our roads its a body off job to replace £1300 the list goes on. If you buy a high end car full of toys and elecro gadgets its going to cost you to keep it on the road.