Elf n Safety

windfall

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt very much it will change a thing. So one person got caught and fined. Big deal, they wouldnt have hadd a case if the snoop hadnt snooped. If I had the time tomorrow, I would lay a bet that I could visit a dozen tree men around here breaking the H&S rules. If challenged about the lack of safety ppe, they would claim it a waste of money. i can think of three whose combined years work wiuld exceed quite a few "pros" wearing all the kit, will this case change them? Of course it wont. So what good will actually come of this case?well an example has been made to those of us who already abide by the rules, the States coffers have a littke more cash in them to pay off the snoop, 1001 companies bending the rules wont know or care of this case so will carry on as before. Yes, thats taught em :thumbup1:

Health and Safety is there to protect life.

There was an unneccessarily high risk of someone losing theres or being seriously injured in this case.

Totally justifiable fine IMO.

How it was brought to the hse,s attention is another subject

Dean how would have felt if you had been prosecuted and fined for operating your MEWP without insurance????

I know you were ignorant of your lack of insurance and thought you were covered, but in fact you were not.

Maybe, just maybe this guy was genuinely ignorant of the legislation.

I may not be a christian but the idea of "let those without sin cast the first stone" a pretty good one IMO.

I know for a fact that I break plenty of rules every day, be that on the road or in my work, so I am certainly in no position to judge others.

I doubt very much it will change a thing. So one person got caught and fined. Big deal, they wouldnt have hadd a case if the snoop hadnt snooped. If I had the time tomorrow, I would lay a bet that I could visit a dozen tree men around here breaking the H&S rules. If challenged about the lack of safety ppe, they would claim it a waste of money. i can think of three whose combined years work wiuld exceed quite a few "pros" wearing all the kit, will this case change them? Of course it wont. So what good will actually come of this case?well an example has been made to those of us who already abide by the rules, the States coffers have a littke more cash in them to pay off the snoop, 1001 companies bending the rules wont know or care of this case so will carry on as before. Yes, thats taught em :thumbup1:

Well the example has been made to us and all and sundry, we aren't the only ones that know about this.

I accept that many companies bend the rules on occasion but this clown wasn't bending the rules was he? He drove a coach and horses through them, disregarded them all and endangered the safety of an employee to boot when he should have known better.

I have to agree on that, but the point is thT those who should be most affected by the case, the flagrant offenders, will not be, because they will not give 2 hoots about it. And isnt just bending the rules a little just as bad? After all, you know you shouldnt do it but you do anyway? Back to the drink drive analogy, is it ok if you dont get caught? Oh well, at least no one will be wearing non ppe clothing to work off this forum, now they know there is a massive fine awaiting them. Now which one of you guys is an NPTC assessor? Have to watch for your sort waiting to grass up for non conforming bootlaces. :001_smile:

look lads that fine is off the scale and i dont care what anybody has to say about it...what if that man had been up his own tree with his own bow saw? nothing the hse would not has a leg to stand on.when you compare it to fine that drink drivers get its just way over the top and it stinks IMO! we have your name and your address and this is what your paying us!!! NO FINES FOR THE BANKERS IS THERE

I have to agree on that, but the point is thT those who should be most affected by the case, the flagrant offenders, will not be, because they will not give 2 hoots about it. And isnt just bending the rules a little just as bad? After all, you know you shouldnt do it but you do anyway? Back to the drink drive analogy, is it ok if you dont get caught? Oh well, at least no one will be wearing non ppe clothing to work off this forum, now they know there is a massive fine awaiting them. Now which one of you guys is an NPTC assessor? Have to watch for your sort waiting to grass up for non conforming bootlaces. :001_smile:

I think the difference is that the kind of rule bending is s minor infringement, if you were audited by the HSE and say, were caught doing the odd cut and hold, that's the kind of thing that can be dealt with by an improvement notice.

I also think its a mistake to brand all assessors like that, it's about the type of person not the job the do.

my point is the fine...it too much and looking at that twig of a tree he was up i bet it could be pushed over!!:thumbup:

The fines total of 4K isn't based on the tree it,s based on being guilty of breaking three statutory laws and the fine is decided by the judge.

If you divide it by how many times he has got away with this monkey business, as I said earlier he has got away cheap, he has an entire career behind him, not following the rules has saved him thousands, don't feel sorry for him he is well in pocket.