Elf n Safety

windfall

No afraid not, it's the person that should be secured from falling.

You are still allowed to work from a ladder for short duration work. Up to 30 mins up the ladder at a time. He could have tied that ladder in to prevent is slipping, taken small sections off with a Silky, whole lot would have been on the ground quite quick.

See HSE - Falls - Ladders

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are still allowed to work from a ladder for short duration work. Up to 30 mins up the ladder at a time. He could have tied that ladder in to prevent is slipping, taken small sections off with a Silky, whole lot would have been on the ground quite quick.

See HSE - Falls - Ladders

I will see your HSE ladders and raise you afag 401 where it states

Ladders are normally only used as a means of access into the crown of the tree.:thumbup1:

Might I just ask if every one adheres to the letter of the law every time and on every job they go out on? Isnt it worse to have all the respective training and ignore it when it suits you? Or not to bother with the training? I have seen some of the top climbers at some companies working in exactly the same manner as this guy here, but they were a tree surgery company so thats ok? With respect to himself as the boss, I couldnt give a toss about how he climbs and how much gear he does or does not wear, but th eemployee is directly his responsibility and he should have be pulled for that.

I think this fine has attracted attention to the H & S issue, but for all the wrong reasons, and its made the system look farcical in the publics eyes, just read the comments in that papers online article. The little man getting clobbered yet again by Big Brother, who of course knows best. So financially the "System" wins, and the little man loses, but in the public eye, its the "System" thats scored an own goal.

Might I just ask if every one adheres to the letter of the law every time and on every job they go out on? Isnt it worse to have all the respective training and ignore it when it suits you? Or not to bother with the training? I have seen some of the top climbers at some companies working in exactly the same manner as this guy here, but they were a tree surgery company so thats ok? With respect to himself as the boss, I couldnt give a toss about how he climbs and how much gear he does or does not wear, but th eemployee is directly his responsibility and he should have be pulled for that.

I think this fine has attracted attention to the H & S issue, but for all the wrong reasons, and its made the system look farcical in the publics eyes, just read the comments in that papers online article. The little man getting clobbered yet again by Big Brother, who of course knows best. So financially the "System" wins, and the little man loses, but in the public eye, its the "System" thats scored an own goal.

Andy, the "system" is always wrong, it's the easiest target.

I can see why your saying, they focused on how he done wrong by doing a job not trained for, so public attention drawn to that rather than him putting employee at risk.

I will see your HSE ladders and raise you afag 401 where it states

Ladders are normally only used as a means of access into the crown of the tree.:thumbup1:

Ha, well.... it says "Ladders are normally only used as a means of access into the crown of the tree" - Not "Ladders must ONLY be used....". The reason it says "normally only used" is because work in the crown of the tree typically requires a lot of moving around and you'd normally be up there more than 30 minutes. BUT for a 20ft tall twig of a tree being dismantled you certainly would be doing much moving around in the crown and spending much time up there. Few minutes of chop chop chop with the Silky......

Edited by Pedroski

If some wollah in a suit has put a time limit on working off ladders, I really begin to despair.

I won't give it a moments notice and anybody that does, IMO does not know what a days work is.

Unreal and total utter bureaucracy gone mad.

If some wollah in a suit has put a time limit on working off ladders, I really begin to despair.

I won't give it a moments notice and anybody that does, IMO does not know what a days work is.

Unreal and total utter bureaucracy gone mad.

It definitely is! Mad!!