What do employers really want?

RHA-adam

Not been broken so far, and to be fair what's the worst they can do!!?? Its not like they can get me pregnant! Haha! But thankyou for all the sounds advice gents! Very appreciated!

I too am an ex soldier retrained in the art of arboriculture so I wish you all the best mate. I will say I have had more injuries in this industry than all my time serving, and no boss will look after you in this industry, fact! At least if I was injured in the service they put me in rehab knowing I was useless when not at my best. The norms go with this industry as with all, punctual, polite, honest, hard work, team player is of the utmost importance in my opinion and pride in what you do. But unlike most other industries, including the army, you wont be rewarded in this one. There is no ladder to climb, there is only a broken body and then trying to qualify as an arb officer so you don't starve. Or start a business, but in this climate and competition from non qualified "tree cutters"! it is rough.

If this seems negative sorry, but it is all true. If possible get them to pay for the Arb officer qualifications. You will thank me if you do.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am an ex soldier retrained in the art of arboriculture so I wish you all the best mate. I will say I have had more injuries in this industry than all my time serving, and no boss will look after you in this industry, fact! At least if I was injured in the service they put me in rehab knowing I was useless when not at my best. The norms go with this industry as with all, punctual, polite, honest, hard work, team player is of the utmost importance in my opinion and pride in what you do. But unlike most other industries, including the army, you wont be rewarded in this one. There is no ladder to climb, there is only a broken body and then trying to qualify as an arb officer so you don't starve. Or start a business, but in this climate and competition from non qualified "tree cutters"! it is rough.

If this seems negative sorry, but it is all true. If possible get them to pay for the Arb officer qualifications. You will thank me if you do.

How many other industries do you have experience of??????

Its easy to find fault with employers, but comparing them with a government run organisation, that is funded by the tax payer is ridiculous, an arb firm could not possible afford to offer the same benefits as the armed services.

And as for ending up with a "broken body" I've been climbing full time for 20 years and expect to be doing so for the next 20 :biggrin:

Totally agree with that on the spitting and swearing thing in front of customers and/or neighbours . Unacceptable for me ..

Thirded. What an employer wants is somebody they can rely on to be where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there and doing what they are supposed to be doing. Reliability, punctuality, responsibility, politeness, personal hygiene, an ability to get on with everybody and a willingness to get the job done well are all vital. If you manage all of these and they still don't like you then it's their problem, not yours! :biggrin:

On time with a smile ready to work and take the ruff with the smooth ie early finishes and late finishes. One of my pet hates is spitting and swearing when customer is in earshot

General foulness and an uncouth manner can't be tolerated. An inability to control yourself is just a demonstration of inadequate intelligence.

In answer to the OP: Large breasts, small waist and Lycra. 👍

How many other industries do you have experience of??????

Its easy to find fault with employers, but comparing them with a government run organisation, that is funded by the tax payer is ridiculous, an arb firm could not possible afford to offer the same benefits as the armed services.

And as for ending up with a "broken body" I've been climbing full time for 20 years and expect to be doing so for the next 20 :biggrin:

I wish I could hand you my CV and watch your expression..... :lol:

I have worked in some pretty interesting industries, with the army being the only government funded organisation I have worked for.

My opinions are based on actual experiences and experience. My main point was that this industry holds no career ladder. I have been in this industry a fare few years now and I am still amazed when I come across 45 or 50 year old groundies. No career ladder! If this doesn't bother you, fare play. But in reference to the lad who made the inquiry, he will be used to an organisation with the possibility of progression. He has the opportunity to study something off their back, choose something with a ladder.

I wish I could hand you my CV and watch your expression..... :lol:

I have worked in some pretty interesting industries, with the army being the only government funded organisation I have worked for.

My opinions are based on actual experiences and experience. My main point was that this industry holds no career ladder. I have been in this industry a fare few years now and I am still amazed when I come across 45 or 50 year old groundies. No career ladder! If this doesn't bother you, fare play. But in reference to the lad who made the inquiry, he will be used to an organisation with the possibility of progression. He has the opportunity to study something off their back, choose something with a ladder.

Maybe there is no ladder, its more of a climb :sneaky2:

Often people wish to be groundies and have no desire to climb, I can guarantee there are a great many crews where one of the groundies is the highest paid person on site.

In this industry people have to make themselves valuable, if you prove yourself to be of high value, i.e. you deal with problems when they arise, are good with customers and are able to just get things done with little fuss, you will be rewarded, people like this are rare, but once found most employers are very keen to keep them.

As for a career as a climber, IMO the best climbers are born not produced through training, if you prove yourself to be the kind of climber who can be given any tree to deal with and just get it done in the time allotted with no drama you will be in demand.

Everything as above, all good points.

Our one experience of an ex soldier was a torrid one, right from the off he was happy to point out he had little respect for us, after all "what have you done?" Constantly reminded us of his tours. We're an easy going bunch but we did find it hard to impart knowledge to someone with zero interest in what we had to say, this job is just hard graft and nothing more, any can do it, so I was told.

Not so confidant on a rainy day and I offer to show him around the very open crown of a plane tree. He doesn't work for us any more and he is no longer in tree surgery.

There can be a career ladder if you are willing to put your head in the books, for christs sake get onto tree idents asap, even if it's only the top 20 common ones you will work on. We have a 18 year veteran groundy who cant tell his arse from an ash, VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!

One little point to note, check out your fellow workers cars, who has the flashest? My guess will be the company owner. Hhmmm, why would that be?

Bing!

Oh, don't just rely on the boss/company to pay for your tickets/training, CPD etc, sometimes it doesn't happen. If you want "IT" get up and go and get it.

Edited by skyhuck
language

This is amazeing advice from you all guys! It is a pleasant surprise to be on a forum where people know when and where the banter is needed and when it's time to put your game face on!