Chipper feed rollers stop and go on and off

colwoodlandcare

Chipper feed rollers stop and go on and off becoming a pain and not allowing you to feed anything in. sometimes just the bottom roller spins, this only happens after 15 mins of continuous chipping, then if you turn it off for 5-10 mins and start again its fine for a while then happens again.

The Oil seems very very thin? could it be time for a change?

Chipper feed rollers stop and go on and off becoming a pain and not allowing you to feed anything in. sometimes just the bottom roller spins, this only happens after 15 mins of continuous chipping, then if you turn it off for 5-10 mins and start again its fine for a while then happens again.

The Oil seems very very thin? could it be time for a change?

Don't know what chipper you have but if its a Jenson 540A like ours then it could be the feed roller speed dial . We have ours all the way out mostly but after a few weeks it creeps back to almost shut and displays the same symtoms as yours. If you got the same just wind it all the way out again . It has a numbered dial but its just a progessive valve really . right out is fastest feed right in is stop .

The symptoms you describe point towards a worn pump, as the machine works the oil gets warm and thinner, and the pumps internals expand opening up wear gaps, once it reaches this state oil can escape through the wear in the pump so you don't get as much pressure and the rollers won't turn with anything like the strength they need.

Nope i haven't contacted the dealer yet. Who is the current dealer at the moment for kwikchip as i wouldn't mind getting a manual while I'm at it as well.

Ive just ordered a new filter and oil, belt tension was a little slack so I've tightened that up. So i guess its just see if a service sorts it out. If not does any body know any good places to get it repaired or is it cheaper to fit another unit.

• 9 months later...

Just finishing up my post as finally got round to replacing the proximity sensor on the fly wheel.

After having a hot day last week the sensor was playing up every 3-4 mins, went and purchased a new one and straight away problem solved. meaning at last no sitting around waiting for the sensor to cool down.