First attempt at making a horse using the bandsaw.

EddieJ

I figured that after making the simple deer cut out on the bandsaw, I figured why not try to cut out a horse.:001_smile: Obviously there was also a bit of sanding involved.

With a bit more practice, I reckon that it shouldn't be too difficult to get right.

Made from air dried home grown oak and measuring approx 200mm long x 165mm high x 50mm wide.

onehv.jpg

twohp.jpg

threewx.jpg

Edited by EddieJ

Def got the knack of that bandsaw Eddie!

I'd extend the idea and do a group of 3, mum dad and young one.... with maybe the mum tossing here head over shoulder.

Also how about a couple of nudes... male and female let's not be sexist but maybe the female first eh!

:001_smile:

I have just got back from Hickstead show ground and there was a guy there selling all kinds of horse sculpture and pretty much anything else that you could think of with prices starting at just £3.00 up to £23.00 for an absolutely superb and truly accurate carving of a horse showing every single muscle and hair detail. All of which have come from Indonesia.

£23.00 is/was crazy cheap, and that is with him making a profit on it.

So much for that little idea.:001_unsure:

I have just got back from Hickstead show ground and there was a guy there selling all kinds of horse sculpture and pretty much anything else that you could think of with prices starting at just £3.00 up to £23.00 for an absolutely superb and truly accurate carving of a horse showing every single muscle and hair detail. All of which have come from Indonesia.

£23.00 is/was crazy cheap, and that is with him making a profit on it.

So much for that little idea.:001_unsure:

Ok that's horses done but don't worry about him - you just need a design that isn't imported - try a few more different ideas and you'll hit on one that is popular and not being done yet.

Thats the constant battle, trying to come up with something that is great to look at, reasonably easy to make (if you have the skill) and is sufficiently novel taht people will buy them. As soon as you come up with somethign it will be copied but as a great carver once said, there are no copyrights for carvings