employment rights

dent

I recently took a job,but due to family circumstances had to leave after just one week the position came with accommodation, albeit very low standards, so for the past couple of weeks i have tried to contact them about being paid for the work i did .

eventually they replied with a list of fictitious charges deducted from the wage so that i get £25 pounds for a weeks work that cost me over one hundred pounds to travel to and for the weeks shopping which i wouldn't have bought otherwise. i never sighned a contract and all i was informed was i would be paid every friday in cash. this didn't happen so had i not been lent money by my parents i would have been out of food.

it is to far away to travel to and i was wondering if there is anything i can do.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is one to put down to experience. You wouldnt have travelled, fair comment, but you would still have to eat. Accomodation is no longer cheap, £100 a week? How about the employers point of view, you wanted a job, which he had, you used his accomodation for a week so he couldnt charge anyone else for that if he so wished. You say you wanted the job, but you left it, and let him down with no real notice. IMO you have inconvenienced them more than they inconvenienced you. They now have to try and find a replacement to do their work at short notice. I think in this situation youre lucky to get £25 cash.

Technically, you are probably in the right (legal, not commenting on moral). If you had agreed a salary and the employer allowed you access to the accommodation and you turned up for work during the week you were employed, clearly both parties had accepted a contract and you are entitled to the pay for that week.

During the early stages of a contract it is quite normal for both parties to have the right to immediate termination of contract with no notice.

Practically, it will have cost the employer time, effort and possibly even money (advertising etc) and they are also quite understandably likely to be hacked off, so it's not surprising they're trying to recover their costs, even if they're not technically entitled to do so.

However, getting the money back would be tricky and expensive, and in reality probably not worth it. You could talk to your local Citizens' Advice Bureau and see what they can suggest, and then decide if you think it's worth pursuing.

Alec

I think this is one to put down to experience. You wouldnt have travelled, fair comment, but you would still have to eat. Accomodation is no longer cheap, £100 a week? How about the employers point of view, you wanted a job, which he had, you used his accomodation for a week so he couldnt charge anyone else for that if he so wished. You say you wanted the job, but you left it, and let him down with no real notice. IMO you have inconvenienced them more than they inconvenienced you. They now have to try and find a replacement to do their work at short notice. I think in this situation youre lucky to get £25 cash.

Dito i think thats how you say it, I agree .

We have far too many rights and regulations in this country so much so that its killing it for small company's , thats going to be the down fall for every one, only large corporate organizations , probably linked to local authority's will do well, and local authority's are developing these company's as we speak to suit there own needs. I am disgusted with what i have recently been asked to review . In the long term we will ALL PAY DEARLY for what LA's and main stream policies are doing. If i do not reply to this its because i'v been snatched and grabbed in the night, please tell Disabled Dan that i love him. ( Jack Russel with special features )

Yep, write it off as a bad do. The travel expenses and the shopping are of no concern whatsoever to the employer.

Technically you should have had notice of the accommodation etc charges before you started, but it really isn't worth exploring this now. Additionally, if you didn't give notice that you were leaving (and such notice had been agreed) the employer could in theory claim additional expenses that he encountered as a result of your leaving. That's almost unheard of unless we are talking big players and big losses though, as it's just not worth it.

Don't let it get you down, move on and remember that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :)