Using both ends of the rope

cheesmanator

I am having an ongoing conversation with my groundie/second climber with regards to using the end of his rope as a work positioning strop.

My argument is that in the event of something bad happening he would want a direct line to the floor. I was always told to only use the back end of the rope if ur unsure of the tree and haven't been able to do a full VTA.

And also to form a v system for longs days in the tree.

His argument is that. That's the way he has been taught.... Also tried getting him on a HC but I think abit more

Persuasion is needed....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All is well and good untill a branch gets caught up in the loop. You should always have a straight line down to the deck if possible. What happens if you need something sent up? Just get a shorter length and have that as a strop.

yes I agree having a line straight to the floor is always a good idea, but if youre in a big tree its not always possible unless you use another rope anyway.

I just think that you can get alot better work positions using the other end of the rope as it is effectivly having two ropes.

Using both ends doesnt always mean your using them all the time, you can still get things sent up and reach the floor unless your in big trees.

Leave him alone and let him climb how he feels the most confident. No need to rush him into more advanced techniques such as the VT and side strop combo if he aint ready for it.

This is the best advice :top::dito: You climb how you have been taught and feel safe and confident doing so.

As long as your not putting yourself in unecessery danger why change.

I am having an ongoing conversation with my groundie/second climber with regards to using the end of his rope as a work positioning strop.

My argument is that in the event of something bad happening he would want a direct line to the floor. I was always told to only use the back end of the rope if ur unsure of the tree and haven't been able to do a full VTA.

And also to form a v system for longs days in the tree.

His argument is that. That's the way he has been taught.... Also tried getting him on a HC but I think abit more

Persuasion is needed....

He dosent need to argue with you over how HE climbs, sounds to me like you need to do your own thing and leave him to his

I get that, but some techniques that have been taught have been discarded as newer and safer techniques have been introduced. I dont want my mate getting tennis elbow from using a prussik his whole climbing career.

And you should change if what your changing to is less stress on ones body. therefore meaning more years on the tools less in the office and also increased productivity and ergonomic working practices.

I have instilled in my mind from Andy @ Kingswood that a rope on the floor is a sure way of getting down. And i like the comment about a branch in the loop, as i have never needed to use both ends of a rope i didnt even think of that. Good point.

I dont think splicing a working rope on both ends is practical, as how would you tell and correct milking of the rope???

ALL IMO

He dosent need to argue with you over how HE climbs, sounds to me like you need to do your own thing and leave him to his

I wish you would listen to the tone of the thread.

This is not me blaring on at him, its just the discussion factor and me using the term argue, this is meant as a focal point of the conversation and to wit my position is shown as a disagreement.

Sounds like to me that you need to add constructive and relevant comments rather than leaving slightly sarcastic and unhelpful sentences.

Just to add, after Jones' show hes now thinking of the floating hitch setup...