eBay con?

mikecotterill

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of interest what do people make of this statement?

Now there comes the question of payment. PayPal and collect is dangerous as the seller will not have a delivery receipt if the payment is fraudulent and may well refuse which he is entitled to do. Do not expect to arrive with a cheque and take the goods away, it won’t happen. Sellers need cleared funds before releasing goods.

So a bit more on google has found out that collection in person and payment via PayPal isnt recommended. This is because of the following scenario,

"Some guy sends you an e-mail about collecting the item in person to save on postage fees and you say that's OK.

He then hits the Buy Now button and pays for the item with Paypal. You are delighted because you have sold your laptop.

Two days later after a few e-mails back and forth to arrange a collection day/time the buyer turns up, tries out the laptop, shakes your hand and then disappears from your life. For about a week.

That's when you get an e-mail from Paypal saying that the buyer wants to know where his laptop is?

You write back saying that the buyer came to collect the laptop in person but that means nothing to Paypal.

You could provide a document signed by the buyer and a solicitor saying that the buyer collected the laptop and it wouldn't mean a thing.

All that Paypal are interested in is that you must be able to provide the tracking number from the receipt that you got from the Post office.

Without that, Paypal will 100% certainly refund the buyer the money that he paid for the laptop and there is nothing that you can do about it.

So then you decide to visit the buyer with a few friends armed with baseball bats and ski masks, ...... but where do you go? You have no idea where the dodgy buyer lives and the eBay ID that he used was probably created just for your laptop with bogus details.

Moral of the story .... NEVER accept Paypal for a Cash on Collection deal."

That's taken from the eBay guide pages.

What's that got to do with it?

He didn't collect in person he sorted a courier, he did pay by PayPal, he did pay quick, even by a good buyer payment can be slow.

He has arranged courier so there is your proof that the item has (or not in this case!) been collected and sent as courier will give you docs that say they have collected.

So you would be happy if he came all the way over here to collect in person and spend a fortune on travel then drive the car back? Does this make sense to anyone else because in my world it doesn't and is cheaper to get a company to do it.

You really should have clearly specified in you description NO OVERSEAS BUYERS PLEASE. It's simple and eliminates a lot.

I'm out on this one I know what it feels like to get messed around by an international buyer and I will always put no international on any listing I do now unless it is a small item.

I'm sticking with saying ou have been hasty with this buyer and not given him much of a chance to deal with anything.

What's that got to do with it?

He didn't collect in person he sorted a courier, he did pay by PayPal, he did pay quick, even by a good buyer payment can be slow.

He has arranged courier so there is your proof that the item has (or not in this case!) been collected and sent as courier will give you docs that say they have collected.

So you would be happy if he came all the way over here to collect in person and spend a fortune on travel then drive the car back? Does this make sense to anyone else because in my world it doesn't and is cheaper to get a company to do it.

You really should have clearly specified in you description NO OVERSEAS BUYERS PLEASE. It's simple and eliminates a lot.

I'm out on this one I know what it feels like to get messed around by an international buyer and I will always put no international on any listing I do now unless it is a small item.

I'm sticking with saying ou have been hasty with this buyer and not given him much of a chance to deal with anything.

Have you read my last post? It says that there has to be online proof that the car was shipped/picked up for PayPal in the event of a dispute

Well I emailed him today apologised and said I wasn't happy with the deal and offered a full refund, then I opened a case to cancel the purchase through eBay. He's rejected it and sent the following

Hi, i am disapointed with your manners and i have already contacted ebay to make you an official complaint, also you tried to make me pay you outside paypal regulations note that i also have your emails saved to prove it to ebay about your behaviour

The deal stands and i will notify you with instructions from my shipper

Joe

- brimbo-joe

so I replied back and said he hadn't complied with the listing as he wasn't collecting in person.

Quite what he thinks is going to happen now I'm not sure! Is he expecting me to say ok and still sell it him? Sounds like he may of been genuine though. Either way he's not getting it.

Bang out of order if your so frightened of ebay been fall of rogues and robbers why use it in the first place put it in local paper get two people come look at it offer you half what its advertised for. :thumbdown:

Think you have been very hasty here!

I'd be pissed off if I were the buyer...

Possibly so but I'd rather he be pissed off than me spend the next month or so worrying incase he claims. I've seen lots of auctions that have stated collection only, and people have asked a question if it was ok to send a courier he could of done the same, and I'd of said no. Simple as that.

Like I said before, my only concern is I sell the car, no problems. Quite why I'm "bang out of order" is beyond me, the only person to lose out in all this is me.

If anyone has some constructive advice then feel free to post but don't bother posting "bang out of order" or "your out of line" as I'm not interested, anyone would think I've been doing the conning