Handed down on a plate.

Fair comment Geoff, that was a bit below the belt.

My point is that he rather rudely questioned my competence. I am questioning this. I can probably field photographic evidence that I am better at doing things rather than just buying things.

I think that we (Mr Blair and I) maybe have a different moral compass, or different values.

I am deeply offended that my own values have been judged in this way. I am just using the same dirty techniques:001_smile:

Seriously:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Stephen Blair

There are plenty of people that didnt need a helping hand and have built huge businesses, maybe accept you just are not as good at doing things as others.

Blame blame blamety blame

I let this go last night, but its bugging me that you got away with saying this.

Would you care to explain how you can extrapolate that I am not good at doing things from my comments in this thread.

I am quite good at doing things actually and its not me that ripped my hand doing tree work, I think that was you:001_smile:

Yes seriously.

You haven't answered this post, but chosen to quote my reply to geoff.

We had our little tit for tat after that post, it was all a bit of fun.

You have stewed over it for a night and now decide you are not happy, you have made your dig at me reguarding just buying stuff.

Let's leave it at that.

I wasn't happy about it last night. I let you off lightly for the sake of keeping the peace, and to give myself time to consider a measured response rather than flying off the handle at the time.

I needed a cool down period, rather than a stewing over it period.

I will however accept an apology if offered.:001_smile:

Now’s as good a time as any to post this little speech and I am not referring especially to Mr Blair here.

There is a reason I have chosen now to take a stand.

I strongly believe that this reason is important for internet forums in general.

I’ve been around this forum for a while and a couple of others.

I have observed that strong , thick skinned, bombastic types… eventually take over all forums.

The more sensitive and often intelligent poster is barged out.

The very nature of internet forums, is that all should be heard.

The people I most want to hear are the pensive and, yes, intelligent, quieter types. Unfortunately they get pushed out by the rhinoceros skinned bullies. The bullies do this to cover up their own inadequacy, it is the nature of bullying.

The irony is that we need the bullies too, if they did not feel threatened by the eloquent types, they would feel no need to bully as a defence mechanism. There is nothing to defend, the bullies are intelligent too, they just don’t always realize it.

My inclination after I have been manipulated, misquoted, or otherwise had my opinion misrepresented is to leave. This is what a lot of intelligent and interesting people do…they leave.

This plays into the hands of the bullies.

I want to take a stand… the internet forum is not just for thick skinned, intransigent bullies. It will be a better place if some of the shrinking violets of this world are allowed to say their piece unmolested.

This is the only reason I am still here, I don’t like being bullied.

I don’t need to learn how to cut a tree off you lot, but I do enjoy a bit of a yarn about one of my areas of interest when there’s nothing much on the telly.

For better or worse you lot are my lot.

This does not mean that I think I am the type I describe, but I do want to hear their views on a regular basis on any forum.

Now’s as good a time as any to post this little speech and I am not referring especially to Mr Blair here.

I strongly believe that this reason is important for internet forums in general.

I have observed that strong , thick skinned, bombastic types… eventually take over all forums.

The people I most want to hear are the pensive and, yes, intelligent, quieter types. Unfortunately they get pushed out by the rhinoceros skinned bullies. The bullies do this to cover up their own inadequacy, it is the nature of bullying.

The irony is that we need the bullies too, if they did not feel threatened by the eloquent types, they would feel no need to bully as a defence mechanism. There is nothing to defend, the bullies are intelligent too, they just don’t always realize it.

My inclination after I have been manipulated, misquoted, or otherwise had my opinion misrepresented is to leave. This is what a lot of intelligent and interesting people do…they leave.

I want to take a stand… the internet forum is not just for thick skinned, intransigent bullies. It will be a better place if some of the shrinking violets of this world are allowed to say their piece unmolested.

I don’t need to learn how to cut a tree off you lot, but I do enjoy a bit of a yarn about one of my areas of interest when there’s nothing much on the telly.

This does not mean that I think I am the type I describe, but I do want to hear their views on a regular basis on any forum.

Is see your point to an extent and think its good that you have made it, however I think your use of the term "bully" is a major over reaction, here on AT we don't allow bullying and I really don't think there any going on.

People have different ways of getting there point across, some are subtle, some are more straight talking and a bit blunt.

You could be accused of "playing the victim", which is another method some use.

We are all grownups in here and should just accept that we won't all agree all the time, lets not try and move to a situation where every one if weighing up every post they make for fear of offending some sensitive soul.

A sweeping (although considered) generalisation, that in itself is an offence to a lot of people who behind the scenes actually help run Arbtalk unselfishly & without agenda for the betterment of our industry.

Thank you for the responses Skyhuck and David.

I guess I've made my point so I'm not sure that it would be constructive to argue it further. People will make of it what they will.

Except to say that I did consider the point you make about those who run the site David, before I entered into this. On balance I reckoned that posters and even viewers who don't post are the lifeblood of a forum. Views and hits etc. So I decided, rightly or wrongly to make my point anyway.

The reason I don't contribute in other ways is because my spare funds and time go into a charity that I founded 10 years ago and run on my own. It raises money for Tibetan refugees in Nepal. I only mention this, as otherwise I might at least have donated money or bought raffle tickets etc.

Ive tried to read back though this thread with a totally open mind, looking for these "bullying" posts. What I have found is strong self opinionated responses to the thread. I think by our very nature, this is why many of us have built our own success, at whatever level, and this comes across in the postings. Although sometimes some of these strong posters may seem intimidating, they also contribute much in a very open, selfless manner, when someone really needs their help they are there.

Anyway, if I do feel bullying does take place, those will be dealt with in accordance with forum rules.