tendering for local authority work..third party.

Do you quote all the work you subcontracting for?

Most of it by photos and the judgement of the guy I am quoting through (he knows roughly what we can get done).

Normally I am guessing within an hour of total job time and rarely go and look at the job.

Make an extra £100 on some, lose it on others. But without the ball ache of looking round the work.

The local council work I do I always go and look at, the guy I do that for has tended to be a bit over ambitious with time in the past. He is not into using modern technology so I cant look at photos of the job on my phone.

As mentioned above I would have a chat with the company first. Explain to them you want to keep working for them but you cant keep going as you are. If they are worth dealing with they will tell you how much they have on the jobs and you can decide when you find out what the best way forward is.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is now on the verge of turning into a bun fight.

Have you considered the security companies stance?

They are a large company with a broad enough infrastructure and external network to negotiate and facilitate their clients requirements. This means they have their fixed running costs, hence the profit margin they put on top.

Do they award jobs to the OP here or is he quoting against others?

If the OP is just being handed the work then that's great and I think he needs to keep his eye on the ball, don't get greedy, and appreciate that for these jobs you are part of a bigger machine.

If you're still profitable then keep going with it, I don't know why you started this thread.

If you're not profitable with this security company then you should have walked away already, I don't know why you started this thread.

This situation is far from uncommon, large public bodies prefer to deal with a few large organisations rather than lots of small ones.

Take the maintenance of our Mways, the contract as a whole goes to the likes of Mac alpine (sp) they then sub the veg control work to the likes of fountains, who then often sub that to others.

Trying to side step this and get in on the top floor is often very,very difficult and tends to burn many bridges if tried.

That's is exactly the situation. You will get nowhere with this. They want a large company with 9001, 14001 CHAS etc so that when / if things go wrong it will not be their problem.