Cs 38

ChrisG

2nd day in, my arms are on fire, I climbed/branch walked a couple of huge (to me) Oaks today, but feel it took me a while and am now paranoid about taking too long on assesment.

How long have you guys taken/how long are you usually allowed for assesment? Had 1 person drop out today as they just couldn't hack it and he was younger than me but better built for the task? so think I should be ok.

PHD student in Arb who dropped out as well, so I thought he would fly it, maybe a bit to long in front of the PC eh?

Loving every minute of it though, just a bit paranoid that I will be expexted to be up the top anchor point like a ferret!

Hi Chris,

Great to hear you're enjoying it. Truth is that people change at height and some people just are not destined to be climbers (of which it doesnt sound as if you fall in to that catergory). Assessors are after an overall package, we dont expect to see polished and crisp performances (due to nerves etc) but do need to see a consistent acceptable standard that makes up the foundation of which you are to build upon during your consolidation in the work place. An assessors job is to make you feel at ease. Remember even the best candidate can do something silly so take your time, do what you have learned in training and you'll do just fine mate!

Cheers,

Andrew

Very reassuring guys, cheers.

I have been told it wouldn't take me as long if I stopped thinking about things, but am just concernec about not clipping in that all important karab and dropping out of the tree!

Sure confidence and technique will improve as the week goes on.

Thanks again.

Glad your enjoying it,hope the weather is being kind to you.Plan your routes up the tree and look around for the next branch,sometimes it's right behind you. You don't need to be fast but you do need to be efficient,don't be too fussy picking your next anchor when changing over. The rescue practice will help your confidence and speed. Keep us posted how you get on, good luck :thumbup:

All i can say is much the same take your time and you will pass no worries. One thing i will say is make sure you have gone through all of the course criteria which you will need to know and be able to demonstrate. i nearly failed because our instructor left out one of the pole rescues which turns out he had left out on a course before mine as well. Good luck

I passed my 38 in march and I was like you... spent ages stressing about the assessor and the prospect of doing something wrong.. all I can add to what the guys have already said is know your theory sheets inside out, practice your limbs and rescues and the best advise I had before I did mine was "you can climb... enjoy it" and I have to say I had an ace day (all the worrying asside :001_unsure::tongue_smilie:)

Hi Chris.

Good luck with it, my 2 cents worth would be to stop and just check everything over that last time before you climb on it. One of the guys I did mine with nearly failed because of a stupid mistake that he spotted just before he started to climb.

The assessor on my course was fairly laid back about the whole thing, and said that as long as we are making progress up the tree in a timely manor he wont fail us. And he was true to his word!

Good Luck!

Safety, safety, safety. dont flap and before you leave the ground plan your route. go through each movement in your mind, talk to yourself, whatever makes you at ease. understand what the task is and fall back on the training given.

less speed more haste

Edited by Dan Earp
spelling